Big rig jack-knifes on Katy Freeway near I-45
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- An 18-wheeler jack-knifed overnight on a section of the Katy Freeway that's notorious for accidents.
The westbound lanes of the freeway were closed early this morning but have since reopened.
It happened at around 3:30 this morning near the I-10 and I-45 freeway split. Police tell us the 18-wheeler actually hit the other side of the freeway first, then the truck jack-knifed and slid across the freeway, striking the guardrail near the Taylor exit.
A heavy duty wrecker arrived on scene to remove the big rig from the westbound lanes of I-10.
The driver tells us it was raining at the time of the wreck. He did not say how fast he was going when he wrecked. All he said was he simply lost control and this was the end result. He added he is just luckily he and his passenger are okay.
The driver wouldn't go on camera for us, but his passenger did and said he woke up from the impact.
"Everything was crumbling down on me. I was hysterical. I didn't know what to do. I was waking up from my sleep, so I was thinking we're either running over a cliff or we're hitting somebody else," said passenger Anthony Ricks.
- Vandals strike vehicles in Heights neighborhood 48 min ago
- Parts of Astrodome demolished
- Smoke prompts IAH Terminal B evacuations
- Police say girl finds her murdered mother 13 min ago
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- 5 Things to Know for Today 1 min ago
- Man wakes up locked in jet at Bush IAH
- Big rig driver involved in deadly wreck due in court today 27 min ago
- Texas touts law protecting Christmas in schools 26 min ago
- Gary Kubiak thanks team, fans in full page ad
- North Korea purges Kim Jong Un's powerful uncle
- Just what we needed - a tougher cockroach
- The storm that wouldn't end 51 min ago
- Wrecker driver shot in NE Houston