Mother and son dead after apparent murder-suicide
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Deputies say a man killed his mother then took his own life in northwest Harris County last night.
It happened at an apartment complex on Butte Creek near FM 1960. When deputies arrived, they say Bernard Turner, 30, was holding a gun to his 53-year-old mother's head and shot her right in front of them.
Then deputies say Turner barricaded himself inside a bedroom with his mother's body. SWAT was called in and officers evacuated several buildings in the apartment complex.
"The cops just ran up and beat on the door because someone was shooting behind us and they didn't want the bullets to go through the walls," said an evacuated resident with whom we spoke. "I heard the shots, but I thought they were firecrackers."
Once officers entered the home, they found Turner's dead body not too far from his mother's body. Officers say he had a history of mental illness.
- Two women found dead in Galveston County
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home
- Malaysia Airlines says plane missing
- What's being done to keep carnival-goers safe?
- Jimmy Kimmel ready to film show in Austin
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Teen in NW Harris Co. fight arrested after burglary
- Photos: Ladies' Night Out at RodeoHouston
- Man chasing $20 gets stuck in sewer for two days
- Mother of newborn found in dumpster charged
- Ft. Bend Co. girls softball league treasurer charged
- Last week's Houston food truck violations
- Ex-girlfriend testifies Olympican cheated on her
- Photos: Kardashians' fake home for sale