Mother and son dead after apparent murder-suicide
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Deputies say a man killed his mother then took his own life in northwest Harris County last night.
It happened at an apartment complex on Butte Creek near FM 1960. When deputies arrived, they say Bernard Turner, 30, was holding a gun to his 53-year-old mother's head and shot her right in front of them.
Then deputies say Turner barricaded himself inside a bedroom with his mother's body. SWAT was called in and officers evacuated several buildings in the apartment complex.
"The cops just ran up and beat on the door because someone was shooting behind us and they didn't want the bullets to go through the walls," said an evacuated resident with whom we spoke. "I heard the shots, but I thought they were firecrackers."
Once officers entered the home, they found Turner's dead body not too far from his mother's body. Officers say he had a history of mental illness.
- ABC News: Oklahoma tornado death toll rises to 91 13 min ago
- Ex-teen sex slave devotes new life to helping others
- Houston Super Bowl committee making its pitch in Boston
- Detectives investigating drowning of 3-year-old boy
- Suspected chop shop raided in NW Harris County
- Court appearance for man accused in attack at nail salon
- 1 arrested, 3 others sought in Alief murders
- Photos: LEGO KidsFest in Houston
- otrc: 'Anchorman 2' teaser trailer released
- abcnews: Victoria's Secret rejects 'survivor' bra
- Video: Huge tornado caught on camera in Kansas
- Casey Curry's Tuesday weather forecast
7 min ago
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos