Mother and son dead after apparent murder-suicide
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Deputies say a man killed his mother then took his own life in northwest Harris County last night.
It happened at an apartment complex on Butte Creek near FM 1960. When deputies arrived, they say Bernard Turner, 30, was holding a gun to his 53-year-old mother's head and shot her right in front of them.
Then deputies say Turner barricaded himself inside a bedroom with his mother's body. SWAT was called in and officers evacuated several buildings in the apartment complex.
"The cops just ran up and beat on the door because someone was shooting behind us and they didn't want the bullets to go through the walls," said an evacuated resident with whom we spoke. "I heard the shots, but I thought they were firecrackers."
Once officers entered the home, they found Turner's dead body not too far from his mother's body. Officers say he had a history of mental illness.
- 4 killed, 3 injured in Pasadena taxi cab wreck
- Teen denies peeing in Oregon reservoir
- Captain of sunken SKorean ferry, 2 crew arrested 54 min ago
- Massive reward in brutally beaten dog case 53 min ago
- 17-year-old fatally shot outside Katy-area strip center
- Hope this doesn't make you sick 30 min ago
- Galveston hosting annual Chicken Shack Strut today
- Student pays off $25,000 college tuition with pennies
- METRO temporarily suspending part of Red Line
- Behold, the pizza cake
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart 48 min ago
- Child dies in multi-vehicle wreck on 290
- Teacher denies sex crimes in YouTube case
- Student reports near abduction while leaving school
- Spurs fans wearing team spirit on their heads
52 min ago