Mother and son dead after apparent murder-suicide
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Deputies say a man killed his mother then took his own life in northwest Harris County last night.
It happened at an apartment complex on Butte Creek near FM 1960. When deputies arrived, they say Bernard Turner, 30, was holding a gun to his 53-year-old mother's head and shot her right in front of them.
Then deputies say Turner barricaded himself inside a bedroom with his mother's body. SWAT was called in and officers evacuated several buildings in the apartment complex.
"The cops just ran up and beat on the door because someone was shooting behind us and they didn't want the bullets to go through the walls," said an evacuated resident with whom we spoke. "I heard the shots, but I thought they were firecrackers."
Once officers entered the home, they found Turner's dead body not too far from his mother's body. Officers say he had a history of mental illness.
- Former Port of Houston IT director accused of theft
- NASA suspects bad valve for space station trouble 15 min ago
- Woman's life spared by inches in freak accident
- Cyclists ride to honor woman killed in hit-and-run
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Boy's mouth duct taped for talking in class
- Kim Jong Un's uncle executed as traitor 40 min ago
- Bride accused of pushing husband off cliff pleads guilty
- What was interpreter REALLY signing
- Shoppers getting excuses instead of packages
- 'Fake' interpreter: 'I was hallucinating'
- Driver charged after turning to cosmetic for revenge
- California man accused of running 'revenge porn' site
- YouTube Rewind: What does 2013 say?