Day-after-Christmas sales lure shoppers back to stores
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- There's only one thing worse than fighting the crowds at the mall before Christmas, and that would be the day after Christmas, when everyone flocks back to stores with returns.
So far this year, holiday sales have been the weakest since 2008, when the nation was in a deep recession. But if the sea of people at Memorial City Mall on Wednesday were any indication, there may be a way to salvage those numbers.
Christmas is over, so let the shopping begin -- again. And for some hitting the malls and stores on the day after the holiday, the motto is...
"It will be cheaper after Christmas," shopper Briana Davis said.
Shoppers like Davis take these day-after deals very seriously.
"The regular price is $14.95 now its $5 so that's good," she said.
She's talking about cashing in on slashed prices -- some up to 75 percent off. It's a sentiment shared by many others especially those who recevied cash and gift cards for Christmas.
And while some are cashing in, others are trading in.
"My wife bought me a gold bracelet," shopper Mike Lyons said. "I lost my old one so she tried to replace it and she bought a larger one than I really wanted, so I have come here to try and exchange it and get a smaller one just like the one I lost."
Swaps and refunds are keeping stores just as busy, but many shoppers say there's good news when it comes to the crowds.
"I thought it would be a larger crowd than what there is," one shopper said.
local, samica knight
- Employees shot outside Galleria area restaurant 39 min ago
- Is Pearland mom the most 'unstoppable?' 56 min ago
- Kids hospitalized after chemical leak at pool
- One taken to hospital after SUV drives into salon
- Girl gets finger stuck in recalled Easy Bake Oven
- Wrestler hugs opponent's dad after loss
- Malaysia not sure which way lost jet was headed
- Prom dress shop rallies community to help teen
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm 47 min ago
- Flight diverted to Houston after baby stops breathing
- Federal government could get involved in school fight
- Dying child receives experimental drug 13 min ago
- First the wind, then the cold 43 min ago
- Doc reaches deal in bizarre break-in case
- Spruce up your furniture for spring
58 min ago