Mysterious device at Kemah Boardwalk prompts evacuation
KEMAH, TX (KTRK) -- A mysterious device found near the Kemah Boardwalk Marina Wednesday evening had authorities so concerned at one point that they evacuated the area.
As one resident put it, you never know what will wash up. And at first glance, it looked dangerous.
By the time people were finally allowed back on their boats, it was hours after the original call. A low tide, passersby reported, revealed what they thought was a bomb.
"We weren't really sure what we were dealing with," Kemah emergency management coordinator Bill Kerber said.
Kemah police and emergency crews were called to the marina, as was Baytown's dive team. Boats were evacuated, and for the next four hours, officials worked to pull the device from the water.
It was black and bomb-like, but harmless.
"It was finally determined it was a military aid training device when we got it up," Kerber said. "It's got a big hole in the side of it. It's not an active device and everybody's safe."
They believe the device came from an old salvage yard that lost it years ago during a flood.
We tried to talk to people who were affected by the evacuations, but were kicked off the property by marina security.
kemah, local, jessica willey
- After bombs, Boston Marathon under tight security
- Robbery call leads to wild chase in north Houston
- Rockets drop heartbreaker to Blazers in Game 1
- Woman killed while retrieving keys 7 min ago
- Group offers free prom dresses to girls
- Lohan says on reality show she had miscarriage
- SKorean president: Ferry crew actions 'murderous'
- Kraft recalling 96K pounds of Oscar Mayer wieners
- Big rig driver involved in deadly 290 wreck will be charged
- Teen survives California to Hawaii flight in wheel well
- Country music singer Kevin Sharp dies at age 43
- General Mills scraps controversial new legal terms
- New study says laughing makes your brain work better
- Car hits packed Florida church, injuring about 20
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos