Armed good Samaritans credited for stopping two crimes this week
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A woman is alive, thanks to the bravery and quick thinking of two strangers in Liberty County. And incredibly, it's not the only story of heroism to happen this week.
Just two days before Christmas, Gary Cherry says he drove around the corner on Route 105 and saw a man stabbing a woman in the middle of the road.
"Then we got up and came toward me and that's when I drew my gun. I told him to get on the ground," Cherry said.
The licensed gun owner says he held the man until Liberty County deputies arrived.
"They were glad I showed up when I did," he said.
Crystal Ward came upon the scene and got the wounded woman's son out of the car and to safety.
"She was crying. She was telling her mother that she didn't think she was going to make it," Ward said.
And on Christmas Day in Cleveland, a neighbor with a concealed handgun license is being thanked for helping police arrest Demetrius Jackson. He is charged with burglary and accused of attacking two elderly women. The gun owner fired shots into the air and chased Jackson until officers could get there.
At the Arms Room in League City, they've seen a big increase in gun owners wanting to earn their conceal carry license, especially since the summer shooting at a Colorado movie theater.
"It's been extremely busy," Arms Room instructor Brian Mobley said.
Mobley teaches classes for individuals and entire families. He says cases of good Samaritans stepping in and protecting victims happens more often than you might think.
"License holders are some of the best, most law-abiding citizens that we have, and for someone to help somebody else doesn't surprise me in the least," he said.
In both cases, the outcome could have been much different.
"I talked to the parents yesterday and they were very grateful that Mr. Cherry stopped and saved her and that I helped the baby," Ward said.
local, christine dobbyn
- HPD: Fight between roommates ends in shooting
- Coyote's wild run through Hobby, but no roadrunner in sight
- Time Magazine names its Person of the Year
- Video from violent fast food robbery released 43 min ago
- Wreck causes fire in Tomball gas station parking lot 34 min ago
- More Astrodome seats to go on sale today
- Spring woman accused of injuring elderly man
- Mandela ceremony interpreter deemed a 'fake'
- Marine's body sent home without heart
- Speed may be to blame for fatal accident 49 min ago
- 5 Things to Know for Today
- Want to buy pot, legally? Head to Uruguay
- Female libido drug remains in limbo
- Mandela's body arrives for viewing in South Africa
- David Tillman's midday weather forecast
39 min ago
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos