Officer opens fire on suspect during confrontation
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Police are searching area hospitals for a suspect in in an officer-involved shooting just west of downtown Houston late last night.
It happened around 11:30pm at the corner of Ruthven and Gillette, an area authorities say is known for drug activity.
Investigators say Officer Shannon Farquahar was patrolling the area when he noticed two suspicious men. Police say when Officer Farquahar began to approach the pair, a third man ran from a back alley and into a nearby car.
"He actually starts the car, pulls forward several times and strikes the officer on the leg," said HPD spokesperson Victor Senties. "The officer, fearing he was going to be run over, discharges his duty weapon several times."
Officer Farquahar was not seriously injured. Police are not sure if the suspect was hit during the shooting, but it is possible bullets may have hit the vehicle.
- HISD decides fate of two schools at risk of closure 49 min ago
- Driver fleeing police kills 2 at SXSW festival 50 min ago
- IRS uses woman's tax refund to pay old debt 43 min ago
- Arrest made in connection to murder of two women
- Jet aborts takeoff after gear failure in Philly
- HCSO: Man shoots teen inside daughter's bedroom
- 5 things you may not know about Pope Francis
- Church offering drive-through prayers
- Death toll rises to 7 in New York City blast
- Missouri City man charged in wife's death
- Groups protest chemicals used in Apple's iPhone
- Recognize either of these guys?
- Texans re-sign tight end Garrett Graham
- Rice hoops coach Ben Braun resigns