Truck slams into pole, bursts into flames in east Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- It was a close call for two men in east Houston overnight when the pickup truck they were riding in slammed into a pole and burst into flames.
It happened on the East Freeway near Mae around 10:30pm.
Witnesses told officers the men were speeding when the driver lost control and the pickup slammed into a concrete pole then started to burn.
The passenger was able to get out on his own, but one witness watched as the driver struggled to escape the truck alive.
"He was trying to get out, but he could not get out," the witness told us. "He was moving back and forth, back and forth, but there was no way out. The vehicle was on fire."
Firefighters arrived just seconds after the crash and rescued the driver.
One of the men did have some burns, but he was still conscious when taken to the hospital.
There is no word on either man's condition.
- HPD: Dead man found at grow house
- Driver charged with murder after deadly police chase 14 min ago
- Sketch of rapist suspect released
- Police: W. Houston apartment fire was no accident
- Man tells deputies he shot his wife
- Liberty Co. jailer accused of smuggling drugs to inmates
- Tax break weekend in Texas for Energy Star items
- JJ Watt 'MegaWatt' shoes will soon hit store shelves
- Texas rapper indicted, controlled substance count
- Galveston leaders to meet over Ike housing story
- otrc: Brad Pitt screens 'World War Z'
- abcnews: Bars accused of serving rubbing alcohol
- Video: 'Captain American' car stolen from movie set
- Video: GRAPHIC: Deputy shot during traffic stop in...
- Tim Heller's weather forecast
53 min ago
- Comic and sci fi fans get their fix at...
37 min ago