Truck slams into pole, bursts into flames in east Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- It was a close call for two men in east Houston overnight when the pickup truck they were riding in slammed into a pole and burst into flames.
It happened on the East Freeway near Mae around 10:30pm.
Witnesses told officers the men were speeding when the driver lost control and the pickup slammed into a concrete pole then started to burn.
The passenger was able to get out on his own, but one witness watched as the driver struggled to escape the truck alive.
"He was trying to get out, but he could not get out," the witness told us. "He was moving back and forth, back and forth, but there was no way out. The vehicle was on fire."
Firefighters arrived just seconds after the crash and rescued the driver.
One of the men did have some burns, but he was still conscious when taken to the hospital.
There is no word on either man's condition.
- Sketch released of suspect in brazen robbery 37 min ago
- 2 winning Mega Millions tickets sold
- Chase suspect crashes into tree in NW Houston
- Good Samaritan saves Christmas for foster child
- 5 Things to Know for Today
- Family escapes house fire in east Houston
- Suit: Risk of fire aboard Carnival's 'Triumph' known
- Delivery man hides present in trash...on trash day 31 min ago
- Mystery illness kills 4 in Montgomery County
- Man victimized in 'knockout game' style attack
- Tourist distracted by Facebook falls off pier
- Ashby High Rise opponents dealt winning hand
- Man tries to trade gator for beer
- Half-ton chocolate Santa on display at Hilton Americas
- Blind man, dog rescued from NYC subway track
44 min ago