Shooting victim laid to rest while family works to raise domestic violence awareness
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- As a family gathered to bury a loved one, they're also trying to raise awareness for domestic violence.
Friends and relatives of murder victim 39-year-old Connie Leatrice Bowie prayed and set flowers outside her home in southeast Houston on Saturday.
Bowie was shot and killed in her home last Sunday. Police believe the shooting started as a domestic dispute with her ex, Herbert Gardner.
The woman's father urges anyone who is a victim of domestic violence to get help.
Bowie's funeral was held Saturday after the memorial at her house. She leaves behind two children.
Gardner is charged with her murder as well as aggravated assault against a public servant.
- Local post offices open today for holiday rush
- Parts of Astrodome to be demolished
- Man wakes up locked in jet at Bush IAH
- Mom killed in SW Houston; husband charged 14 min ago
- No more ice, but cold weather continues
- Houstonians to pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
- Wrecker driver shot in NE Houston
- Suspect in 3 deaths lets baby go, kills self
- Susan Boyle diagnosed with Asperger's
- North Texans dealing with ice storm aftermath
- Teacher says he was fired because he's gay
- HFD captain receives award for courage
- Member of 2005 Astros World Series team returns
- Photos: North Texas covered in ice and snow