Shooting victim laid to rest while family works to raise domestic violence awareness
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- As a family gathered to bury a loved one, they're also trying to raise awareness for domestic violence.
Friends and relatives of murder victim 39-year-old Connie Leatrice Bowie prayed and set flowers outside her home in southeast Houston on Saturday.
Bowie was shot and killed in her home last Sunday. Police believe the shooting started as a domestic dispute with her ex, Herbert Gardner.
The woman's father urges anyone who is a victim of domestic violence to get help.
Bowie's funeral was held Saturday after the memorial at her house. She leaves behind two children.
Gardner is charged with her murder as well as aggravated assault against a public servant.
- Road rage incident ends with shooting of girl
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Sugar Land man charged after Walmart lockdown
- One dead in auto-pedestrian wreck on south side of town 3 min ago
- Big rig driver involved in deadly 290 wreck wil be charged 55 min ago
- Good Samaritans run over in SW Houston carjacking
- Good Samaritans rescue mom, kids after wreck
- Miss America comes to the aid of suspended student
- Celebrate Easter with animals at Houston Zoo
- Local designer's cultural dolls big hit in Houston area
- Several dogs rescued, others die in NE Harris Co. fire
- Local church donates shoes to needy Haitians
- Nice weather for Easter!