Shooting victim laid to rest while family works to raise domestic violence awareness
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- As a family gathered to bury a loved one, they're also trying to raise awareness for domestic violence.
Friends and relatives of murder victim 39-year-old Connie Leatrice Bowie prayed and set flowers outside her home in southeast Houston on Saturday.
Bowie was shot and killed in her home last Sunday. Police believe the shooting started as a domestic dispute with her ex, Herbert Gardner.
The woman's father urges anyone who is a victim of domestic violence to get help.
Bowie's funeral was held Saturday after the memorial at her house. She leaves behind two children.
Gardner is charged with her murder as well as aggravated assault against a public servant.
- Missouri City cheers on 'Resurrection' star 13 min ago
- One killed in house fire on Houston's south side
- Big names, fans converge on Austin for SXSW 12 min ago
- Would-be robbery victim kills suspect at bar
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- VIP treatment for military families at RodeoHouston
- More than two dozen hurt in musical stage collapse
- Rockets rally for OT win over Blazers
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Toronto mayor mocked for daylight savings flub
- Amazing images from midair accident in Florida
- Woman badly burned in Conroe apartment fire
- Ford Motor Co. leader William Clay Ford dies
- Photos: South by Southwest in Austin