Driver sought in fatal hit-and-run on Highway 290
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Authorities shut down all westbound lanes of Highway 290 for hours following a fatal accident this morning.
The accident happened around 2am near Jones Road.
A driver in a Corvette was traveling westbound on Highway 290, approaching the Jones Road overpass at a high rate of speed when he lost control and struck the inside wall, according to a Harris County Sheriff's deputy. The driver was able to get out and stood on the shoulder. At some point, he decided to go back to his vehicle that was still in a moving lane of traffic.
Authorities say a F-150 pickup driver came over the hill and struck the vehicle and the driver. The driver was pronounced dead at the hospital. He hasn't been identified.
The F-150 pickup driver fled the scene on foot. Police are still looking for that driver.
The freeway was finally reopened just before 10am.
- Drug agents: 'Unfit for human consumption' 5 min ago
- Man fatally shot while driving in SW Houston 48 min ago
- Galveston judge indicted on felony charges 43 min ago
- Constable Trevino: Good intentions gone too far? 47 min ago
- Cocaine, cash found in abandoned chase suspect's car 42 min ago
- Vendor fired, took snow cones into bathroom
- Burglars break in through roof of Walgreen's store 40 min ago
- Ohio kidnap case hero gets burgers for life
- 13 Things to Know for Thursday 34 min ago
- Youngest Oklahoma tornado victims remembered by kin
- Deputy's family speaks out about his death
- otrc: 'Bachelor' Sean Lowe making wedding plans
- abcnews: 5 Biggest food and exercise mistakes
- Video: OK tornado caught on cell phone