Driver sought in fatal hit-and-run on Highway 290
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Authorities shut down all westbound lanes of Highway 290 for hours following a fatal accident this morning.
The accident happened around 2am near Jones Road.
A driver in a Corvette was traveling westbound on Highway 290, approaching the Jones Road overpass at a high rate of speed when he lost control and struck the inside wall, according to a Harris County Sheriff's deputy. The driver was able to get out and stood on the shoulder. At some point, he decided to go back to his vehicle that was still in a moving lane of traffic.
Authorities say a F-150 pickup driver came over the hill and struck the vehicle and the driver. The driver was pronounced dead at the hospital. He hasn't been identified.
The F-150 pickup driver fled the scene on foot. Police are still looking for that driver.
The freeway was finally reopened just before 10am.
- Houston man was supposed to be on missing plane
- Suspected beer thief caught in north Houston
- Valet driver crashes, totals man's SUV
- Wife charged in hubby's New Year's Eve murder
- Jimmy Kimmel, crew in Austin for SXSW
- Photos: South by Southwest in Austin
- Search widens for missing Malaysian passenger jet
- Money-saving sites for booking vacations
- Stars, Blue Jackets game called off after player collapses
- Bieber surprises with performance during SXSW
- Are you too good looking to get a date?
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Shots fired during armored car robbery
- 'Bachelor' finale, plus see new 'Bachelorette'