New Year's Eve Houston party rocks Discovery Green
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- The chance for rain didn't stop thousands of people from packing into Discovery Green for the city of Houston's big New Year's Eve party.
The festivities at the family-friendly event began at 7pm, and ABC13's live coverage begins shortly after 11pm and we'll countdown for the full hour to 2013. Anchors Tom Koch and Gina Gaston are co-hosting the celebration.
"We've got this really fun theme of disco down at Discovery Green. So put on your boogie shoes and come down to Discovery Green," said Angie Bertinot with the Houston Downtown Management District. "Last year we had around 30,000 people out here."
On Sunday, organizers put the finishing touches on all of the attractions and performers were rehearsing, but that's just part of the fun.
"There will be ice skating with Olympic ice skaters as well as Olympic hopefuls," Susan Christian, Director of the Mayor's Office of Special Events. "We have a kids zone with all sorts of games."
There's also the entertainment. Local artists showcased their talents, but the big crowd pleaser of the night will be Grammy Award-winning KC and the Sunshine Band.
And that's not all. One of the most unique parts of the night was the illuminated art car parade.
"From here back we cut the car off and built everything. The whole boat tail look, the truck bed inside which is holding our flame throwers which are going to be shooting some 15- to 20-foot flames tomorrow," said art car artist Kenny Browning.
Then there was a kids' confetti countdown so children didn't have to stay up until midnight to experience the fun.
Finally, a huge fireworks display lights the skies.
Fort Bend County gears up for two big celebrations
Sugar Land is holding its New Year's Eve celebration at the Sugar Land Town Square. It will feature dozens of other family friendly activities including a 3D midnight sugar cube drop. It started at 7pm and ends at 1am.
And in Missouri City, they'll be celebrating La Dolce Vida, or the good life, as they ring in the New Year. The party will focus on families, friends, fine dining and fun. It started at 7:30pm at City Centre at Quail Valley. The party ends at 1:30am.
new year's eve, local
- Car slams into two homes in wild crash 43 min ago
- Seatbelt couldn't save teen's life in crash 33 min ago
- Man found shot to death in SE Houston home
- Cigarette blamed for Taco Bell fire in Katy
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Phil's hiatus
- Bear cubs get loose at Houston Zoo
- Residents on edge after Montgomery Co. flu deaths
- Girls' softball league evicted from their field
- Chevron puts downtown Houston building plans on hold
- East Texas company making healthcare affordable
- Video: Lovie Smith interviews with Texans
- Video: JJ Watt now a superhero
- Investigators: Driver drank cologne to hide alcohol smell
- Dozens of people injured in London theater collapse
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos