Third teen facing capital murder charges in botched robbery of Air Jordan shoes
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A third teenager is now facing charges in the attempted robbery of new Air Jordan shoes last month which resulted in a shooting death.
Anthony Quinn Wade, 19, is charged with capital murder. Detectives say on December 21 the victim, Joshua Wood, and another man went to Willowbrook Mall to buy several pairs of the latest Air Jordan sneakers. While driving back to a residence in the 1700 block of Plumwood Drive at around 10:30am, a vehicle pulled in front of their car and an armed suspect got out and demanded the shoes.
Deputies say the driver took off running on foot, with the suspect shooting after him, leaving Wood in the car. As the driver was knocking on a neighbor's door looking for help, he heard another set of shots. According to investigators, those shots were fired at Wood in the car by the second suspect.
Wood, who was trying to get behind the wheel of the car to escape, drove away wounded. He crashed in between two houses and hit a gas line. He was taken to Houston Northwest Hospital where he died last week. The driver was not hurt.
On December 28, Neal Bland, 18, and Kegan Arrington, 19, were charged with capital murder in Wood's death. Arrington had already been behind bars on an unrelated charge, and Bland was arrested that day.
The Air Jordan shoes are sold for around $185.
Arrington faced a judge on Wednesday for his arraignment. Prosecutors say Arrington has admitted he was at the scene, but claims he wasn't the shooter.
Wade and Bland are also due in court this week.
- Blood drive held for officer injured in crash
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster
- 20 on missing plane worked for Austin company
- Body found after shots ring out near Greens Bayou
- Students learn science through unique course
- Collision sends HPD officer, driver to hospital
- Fire marshal: Teen burned mom's clothes over marijuana
- Person fatally falls from 6th floor of building at Texas A&M
- Thousands of bees attack woman in California
- North Houston house fire leaves one dead
- Yates comes up short in 3A title game
- Masked robbers hold up bank in west Harris County
- raw video: Sarah Palin remixes 'Green Eggs and Ham'
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home