Conroe couple welcome in Houston-area's first baby of 2013
THE WOODLANDS (KTRK) -- A mother and father from Conroe are the proud parents of the first local baby born in 2013.
Mom went through half a day of labor before her baby son arrived in The Woodlands. And the father has lofty dreams for his little boy.
Susana Garcia holds her baby son, Jesse Emmanuel Espinoza, who is seven pounds, six ounces. He was born at 12:04am New Years Day at Women's Memorial Hermann-The Woodlands Hospital.
He is the first baby born in the Houston area this year. Neither parent expected to deliver the first local baby of the year.
"I thought he would come a lot sooner, before 12," said Garcia.
"Had not a clue," said dad Jesse Espinoz. "She kept me posted and we figured, you know, it was going to be a little early, but we didn't know it was gonna be this early and this exciting. It's awesome."
Susanna says she was in labor for 12 hours before her third child made his arrival and made local history. Jesse's dad says he expects his son to become an athlete when he grows up and play for the Houston Texans.
"He's gonna be football player; football, baseball, gonna run track," dad predicted. "He's gonna do it all."
Baby Jesse received a special gift basket from the hospital. He already has a new little ducky and teddy bear to play with.
local, melanie lawson
- Violent House of Pies robbery linked to murder 45 min ago
- Shots fired during armored car robbery
- Neighbors upset over gun range near homes 15 min ago
- Four sent to hospital after gas leak at school
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Truck slams into fast food restaurant
- Suspect arrested wearing Cookie Monster onesie
- 'Ban Bossy' campaign to empower girls to lead 37 min ago
- More Houstonians using METRO system 9 min ago
- Wife charged in hubby's New Year's Eve murder
- Woman accused of preying on elderly man
- Ex-teacher accused of sex with student
- Police: Miley fan sneaked into Omaha dressing room 14 min ago
- 'Burger King baby' now seeks birth mom on Facebook 18 min ago
- Tim Heller's weather forecast
41 min ago
- Learning doesn't stop at Houston Rodeo
56 min ago