Conroe couple welcome in Houston-area's first baby of 2013
THE WOODLANDS (KTRK) -- A mother and father from Conroe are the proud parents of the first local baby born in 2013.
Mom went through half a day of labor before her baby son arrived in The Woodlands. And the father has lofty dreams for his little boy.
Susana Garcia holds her baby son, Jesse Emmanuel Espinoza, who is seven pounds, six ounces. He was born at 12:04am New Years Day at Women's Memorial Hermann-The Woodlands Hospital.
He is the first baby born in the Houston area this year. Neither parent expected to deliver the first local baby of the year.
"I thought he would come a lot sooner, before 12," said Garcia.
"Had not a clue," said dad Jesse Espinoz. "She kept me posted and we figured, you know, it was going to be a little early, but we didn't know it was gonna be this early and this exciting. It's awesome."
Susanna says she was in labor for 12 hours before her third child made his arrival and made local history. Jesse's dad says he expects his son to become an athlete when he grows up and play for the Houston Texans.
"He's gonna be football player; football, baseball, gonna run track," dad predicted. "He's gonna do it all."
Baby Jesse received a special gift basket from the hospital. He already has a new little ducky and teddy bear to play with.
local, melanie lawson
- Severe weather possible Saturday morning
- Mom devastated by tragedy pushes for change 58 min ago
- Three Harris County deaths related to H1N1 6 min ago
- Boy, 4, saves family from overnight fire
- Santa sparks impromptu marriage ceremony
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Phil's hiatus
- Police: Teen admits shooting out car windows 21 min ago
- Foul weather threatens to snarl US holiday travel
- Obama: '2014 can be a breakthrough year'
- Turning those holiday gift cards into cash 46 min ago
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?
- Video: Harris County inmates get early Christmas
- FBISD approves new GPA-exempt courses
- Man tries to grab woman jogging on trail