Mystery remains a year after woman's murder
PASADENA, TX (KTRK) -- Tuesday marked one year since a mother of seven was found beaten and murdered. To this day, police have not captured her killer or named any suspects.
The body of Edlyn Villegas, 36, was found New Year's Day under the Queens Street Bridge over Vince Bayou.
One year to the day after that tragic discovery, Villegas' mother was remembering.
"That whenever they left the hospital when she was born, my dad and my mom were both holding her together," said Mahday Villegos, translating what her mother, Maria Cortez, was saying.
Villegas was found nude on New Year's Day 2012.
"They turned her into ashes, they both carried her together," said Mahday.
She'd been at a strip club with her husband, Camilo Zermeno, which is where he worked, the night before. The two argued. Zermeno left and Villegas apparently tried to walk home.
On Tuesday, family and friends gathered at the spot where she was found to remember, to pray and to release balloons.
"We think of our own message and we let the balloon go and that way, she can see it," said Mahday.
Pasadena police tell us Villegas' murder is not a cold case, that the investigation is active and that they are waiting on more forensic evidence.
Her family says it's been a year and they had hoped that justice for Villegas and her seven children would have come faster.
"They still cry. They miss her so much. It's not the same being with everybody. They want their mom, too," said Mahday
If you know anything about this case, you're urged to call Crime Stoppers at 713-222-TIPS.
local, adela uchida
- HISD decides fate of two schools at risk of closure
- Driver fleeing police kills 2 at SXSW festival
- IRS uses woman's tax refund to pay old debt
- Arrest made in connection to murder of two women
- Motorcycle chase ends in fiery crash with patrol vehicle 2 min ago
- College students paid to take a year off?
- HoustonRodeo 'Moves like Jagger' 24 min ago
- HCSO: Man shoots teen inside daughter's bedroom
- 5 things you may not know about Pope Francis
- Jet aborts takeoff after gear failure in Philly
- Teen faces sexting charges following social media mistake
- Vandals dressed up like rock stars go on rampage
- Church offering drive-through prayers
- Dannon to reduce sugar in yogurt for kids