Flight diverted to Houston when woman dies onboard plane
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- An airplane passenger was dead upon arrival to Bush Intercontinental Airport this morning.
A spokesperson with the Houston Police Department confirms that a 25-year-old Brazilian woman died during a flight from Sao Paulo, and her death is now under investigation.
American Airlines flight #962 left Sao Paulo, Brazil, at 1:15am local time, bound for Dallas (DFW). The flight arrived at about 6:20am to Houston's IAH airport gate D7 in the international terminal.
The plane was diverted to Houston due to an ill passenger, according to an airline spokesperson. The woman died before the flight arrived in Houston.
American Airlines did not share any details about the nature of the woman's illness. Police say the woman went into medical distress about eight hours into the flight. Members of the flight crew, aided by a physican who happened to be on board, performed emergency medical procedures.
The medical examiner's office took custody of the woman's body. She was taken to the morgue where an autopsy will be performed to determine her cause of death. The woman's name has not been released.
HPD investigators interviewed other passengers, and at about 9:25am the plane continued on to Dallas, which was the flight's original destination. The Boeing 777 carried 220 passengers and 14 crew members.
HPD homicide officers and airport officials are investigating the woman's death. There are no apparent signs of trauma nor any indication of foul play.
local, katie mccall
- Sugar Land man charged after Walmart lockdown 37 min ago
- Liberty Co. judge, wife injured in head-on wreck
- 4 killed, 3 injured in wreck involving taxi in Pasadena
- Teen denies peeing in Oregon reservoir
- 17-year-old fatally shot outside Katy-area strip center
- Hope this doesn't make you sick
- Galveston hosting annual Chicken Shack Strut today
- Authorities searching for sex assault fugitive
- Student pays off $25,000 college tuition with pennies
- Massive reward in brutally beaten dog case
- METRO temporarily suspending part of Red Line
- Behold, the pizza cake
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- Child dies in multi-vehicle wreck on 290