Flight diverted to Houston when woman dies onboard plane
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- An airplane passenger was dead upon arrival to Bush Intercontinental Airport this morning.
A spokesperson with the Houston Police Department confirms that a 25-year-old Brazilian woman died during a flight from Sao Paulo, and her death is now under investigation.
American Airlines flight #962 left Sao Paulo, Brazil, at 1:15am local time, bound for Dallas (DFW). The flight arrived at about 6:20am to Houston's IAH airport gate D7 in the international terminal.
The plane was diverted to Houston due to an ill passenger, according to an airline spokesperson. The woman died before the flight arrived in Houston.
American Airlines did not share any details about the nature of the woman's illness. Police say the woman went into medical distress about eight hours into the flight. Members of the flight crew, aided by a physican who happened to be on board, performed emergency medical procedures.
The medical examiner's office took custody of the woman's body. She was taken to the morgue where an autopsy will be performed to determine her cause of death. The woman's name has not been released.
HPD investigators interviewed other passengers, and at about 9:25am the plane continued on to Dallas, which was the flight's original destination. The Boeing 777 carried 220 passengers and 14 crew members.
HPD homicide officers and airport officials are investigating the woman's death. There are no apparent signs of trauma nor any indication of foul play.
local, katie mccall
- College student from Baytown fatally shot
- Kubiak era ends in Houston
- Dad's murder trial too much for him to watch
- Shots fired during robbery on UH campus
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Texans fire special teams coach Joe Marciano
- Homeowner questions handling of Christmas package
- Methodist: Personal info of 1,300 transplant patients stolen
- Winter weather wreaks havoc across North Texas
- Officer who fired at van with kids in it fired
- Feds order changes following deadly train derailment
- Police: Galveston pair arrested with 13 pounds of marijuana
- New METRO rail line nearly ready for riders
- NKorea: Detained elderly American veteran deported