Cold and rainy around here; snow out west
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A cold rain is starting to fall across southeast Texas tonight and it will continue into Friday and Saturday.
A thin layer of subfreezing temps about 5000' above the ground could allow some raindrops to freeze as they fall through the atmosphere late tonight and early Friday morning. While the sight of these ice pellets might be exciting, there will not be enough sleet to cause travel problems. Air temperatures will stay several degrees above freezing so road will NOT become icy in southeast Texas.
Different story farther west. Up to 10" of snow could fall in far west Texas. Some light snow could accumulate as far east as the Hill Country. But that rain/snow line will stay well north and west of the Houston area.
The rain will still be moving through on Saturday and it could be wet for tailgating ahead of Saturday's Texans game. Temperatures will still be cool, only hitting the low 50s by kickoff.
local, tim heller
- Child dies in multi-vehicle wreck on 290
- Pickup rolls 6 times in northeast Harris County
- Man recovering after freak lawn-mowing accident
- Strong earthquake shakes central, southern Mexico
- Massive reward in brutally beaten dog case
- Student reports near abduction while leaving school
- Motorcyclist killed in NE Harris County wreck
- South Korean ferry boat captain arrested
- Texas officials say gang membership exceeds 100K
- Three accused of stealing items left on airplanes
- Promoters seek to bring back Galveston beach parties
- Key evidence recovered in double murder of Houston women
- Last week's Houston food truck violations
- Man shot while mowing lawn in N. Houston