Cold and rainy around here; snow out west
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A cold rain is starting to fall across southeast Texas tonight and it will continue into Friday and Saturday.
A thin layer of subfreezing temps about 5000' above the ground could allow some raindrops to freeze as they fall through the atmosphere late tonight and early Friday morning. While the sight of these ice pellets might be exciting, there will not be enough sleet to cause travel problems. Air temperatures will stay several degrees above freezing so road will NOT become icy in southeast Texas.
Different story farther west. Up to 10" of snow could fall in far west Texas. Some light snow could accumulate as far east as the Hill Country. But that rain/snow line will stay well north and west of the Houston area.
The rain will still be moving through on Saturday and it could be wet for tailgating ahead of Saturday's Texans game. Temperatures will still be cool, only hitting the low 50s by kickoff.
local, tim heller
- Car slams into two homes in wild crash
- Brightening the holiday for underprivileged kids 2 min ago
- Seatbelt couldn't save teen's life in crash
- Man found shot to death in SE Houston home
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Phil's hiatus
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport 24 min ago
- Bear cubs get loose at Houston Zoo
- Three Webster officers go before judge today 31 min ago
- Cigarette blamed for Taco Bell fire in Katy
- SW Houston family loses puppy in overnight fire 7 min ago
- Three local teams hope to bring home state football titles 30 min ago
- Repeat winner for most annoying word of 2013 37 min ago
- Residents on edge after Montgomery Co. flu deaths