Car dealer turns himself in on sex assault charges
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Rik Melartin became a local hero for what he did in his Bellaire home in February. Now, he's an accused criminal for what a teenager says happened at his Crosby car dealership.
There were open warrants for Melartin's arrest, until he turned himself in to court Thursday afternoon. He has posted bond.
According to court records, the alleged victim's stepfather was tipped off by an anonymous caller saying he knew what had happened to the teenager because Melartin's co-defendant was bragging about it. Melartin -- the owner of John Keating Chevrolet -- and his assistant at the dealership, George Koutani, are charged with indecency with a child. Melartin is also accused of sexually assaulting the 16-year-old. She told investigators she was helping her mother clean last August when the two men gave her an energy drink laced with alcohol and touched her inappropriately.
In October, according to documents, Melartin took her upstairs and sexually assaulted her. After the incidents, he paid her a total of $500.
Melartin was already on probation for illegally operating a sexually oriented business. His attorney in that case did not return our calls for comment Wednesday.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Blood drive held for officer injured in crash
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster
- 20 on missing plane worked for Austin company
- Body found after shots ring out near Greens Bayou
- Students learn science through unique course
- Collision sends HPD officer, driver to hospital
- Fire marshal: Teen burned mom's clothes over marijuana
- Person fatally falls from 6th floor of building at Texas A&M
- Thousands of bees attack woman in California
- North Houston house fire leaves one dead
- Yates comes up short in 3A title game
- Masked robbers hold up bank in west Harris County
- raw video: Sarah Palin remixes 'Green Eggs and Ham'
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home