Woman charged in deadly west Houston wreck
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- One person was killed Wednesday afternoon in an accident involving multiple vehicles in west Houston, and a woman is facing charges.
The accident happened shortly before 4:50pm on Highway 6 South at Piping Rock, which is just north of Westheimer. Police say Mytreka Neshell Ealem, 31, was driving a maroon Ford Expedition southbound on Highway 6 when she crossed the center divider and struck a black Ford Escape traveling northbound. The Expedition then struck a white Hyundai Santa Fe, whose driver then lost control of the vehicle and was struck by two additional northbound vehicles.
Two backseat passengers in the Hyundai were ejected from the vehicle. Both were taken to Memorial Hermann Southwest Hospital where one died and the other remained in serious condition. The identity of the male victim, 42, has not been released.
According to police, their investigation determined Ealem was under the influence of illegal narcotics. She was arrested and charged with intoxication manslaughter.
Take ABC13 with you
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Employees shot outside Galleria area restaurant 35 min ago
- Kids hospitalized after chemical leak at pool
- One taken to hospital after SUV drives into salon
- Girl gets finger stuck in recalled Easy Bake Oven
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Malaysia not sure which way lost jet was headed
- Flight diverted to Houston after baby stops breathing 6 min ago
- Federal government could get involved in school fight 17 min ago
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Doc reaches deal in bizarre break-in case
- 'I'm dying' - Crocodile Hunter's final words 4 min ago
- CVS could face millions in fines for missing painkillers 48 min ago
- Students charged after dog forced to drink beer 44 min ago
- California pushes to finish driverless car rules 40 min ago