Houston Pavilions starts daily food truck service
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- One downtown development is finding a creative solution to get more foot traffic -- food trucks.
Lunchtime for downtown worker Linda Guzman meant a quick stroll to a food truck parked on Houston Pavilions property, which started daily food truck service this week.
"It's not fast food, but you can kind of grab and go. And if you have a lot of work to do, then you can just head back to the office after getting it," said Guzman.
Because propane-based trucks aren't allowed to operate in downtown Houston, the Pavilions only use electric trucks, even putting in an exterior outlet so trucks can operate.
"We put it in because we thought it was a fun thing to make it easy for the trucks. So, calling all food trucks," said Karen Mulville with Houston Pavilions.
Even though Mayor Annise Parker has expressed her support for changing the propane ban, efforts to change city ordinance has hit stiff opposition. Members of the Greater Houston Restaurant Association say generally trucks downtown would put brick and mortar restaurants at an unfair disadvantage.
"When the potential is that you're going to have four or five food trucks lined up in an empty parking lot next to you, and they don't have to pay as many taxes and permits as you do, I don't think it's fair," said Carol Churchill with China Garden.
The mayor's office told us at this time there is nothing scheduled for a vote to change the current ordinance.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
local, miya shay
- Sketch released in murder of two Houston women 12 min ago
- Teen leads police on high-speed chase 47 min ago
- Missouri City cheers on 'Resurrection' star
- North Texas family holds out hope for loved one
- Big names, fans converge on Austin for SXSW
- Information on price tags decoded 40 min ago
- Naked murder suspect caught on camera punching officer
- Shopping for a wireless plan? Check here first 55 min ago
- VIP treatment for military families at RodeoHouston
- Battery dead? Use the virtual smartphone 18 min ago
- Counterfeit health and beauty products arrests in NY 56 min ago
- Peru: Van der Sloot to be extradited to US in 2038
- Why Malaysia Airlines jet might have disappeared 50 min ago
- Rockets rally for OT win over Blazers