Spring couple sentenced for Hurricane Ike fraud
HOUSTON -- A husband and wife from Spring have been sentenced to federal prison after being convicted of defrauding the Federal Emergency Management Agency in the aftermath of Hurricane Ike.
U.S. Attorney Kenneth Magidson says a judge Thursday sentenced 40-year-old LaCarsha Goodman to two years and three months in prison. He says 41-year-old Andre Goodman was sentenced in September to two years in prison. They have also been ordered to pay $23,014 in restitution.
Both pleaded guilty last year to theft of government property and fraud in connection with major disasters.
Prosecutors say evidence showed the couple reported false addresses and damage after Hurricane Ike hit Texas in September 2008. Prosecutors say the two reported multiple addresses as their primary residence, in each instance falsely indicating the residences were damaged.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- weather: Rain showers popping up across SE Texas 51 min ago
- Residents fire through door, killing woman
- Police: Suspected drunk driver slams into ambulance
- Boy, 15, bitten by shark at Surfside Beach
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Officials: Homeowner fatally shoots burglar
- Truck overturns near La Porte; people asked to avoid area 49 min ago
- Boy, 13, charged in 'wrestling' death of girl, 5
- 2nd arson suspect arrested after clothing store fire 29 min ago
- Woodlands woman accused of setting fire to boyfriend's home 30 min ago
- Chrysler agrees to recall 2.7 million older model Jeeps
- Robbers wearing HazMat suits hit jewelry store
- otrc: Bieber investigated in Hollywood hit-and-run
- abcnews: Brain-eating amoeba warning in Florida