Disabled vet rescued from burning apartment
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A veteran and a pizza delivery driver rushed into a burning Houston apartment to save a trapped man early Saturday.
It happened just before 9pm at the Midtown Terrace Suites on Blodgett. Investigators said the old hotel has been converted to an apartment complex and caters to local veterans.
A caretaker said the victim -- a veteran in a wheelchair -- was fine around 7:30pm when she left to go home. Officials said he later put something in the toaster and fell asleep. The fire started and the man became trapped.
A neighbor -- also a veteran -- grabbed another tenant and a pizza delivery driver and rescued the victim, whose wheelchair got jammed between the furniture.
Authorities told us the victim had burns on his back, arms and legs.
At last check, he was listed in critical condition.
The fire was contained to just two apartments in the building. There were no other reports of injuries.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Mystery shipwrecks explored off Galveston 46 min ago
- Woman ambushed while taking out trash
- Here's a reason to lock doors while pumping gas
- Teen reunites with family after being found safe
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Prostitution sting nets 5 arrests in NW Harris County
- Williams in talks to reprise 'Mrs. Doubtfire' role 30 min ago
- Obama: 8 million signed up for health care
- Teen accused of threatening attack on Splendora HS
- Police: Man ate pot candy before shooting his wife
- Chelsea Clinton announces she's pregnant
- Student caught with gun on campus
- Man shimmies through burglar bars at tattoo parlor
- Photos: Know any of Harris Co.'s featured fugitives?
- Tim Heller's weather forecast
15 min ago