Security guard shot, suspect killed outside movie theater
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A southwest Houston movie theater was temporarily on lockdown Saturday following a shooting in the parking lot.
It happened around 3:30pm at the AMC Theater on Westheimer at Dunvale.
According to Houston police, a female security guard was carrying a bag of money from the theater to an armored truck when a male suspect came around the back of the vehicle and shot her at least once.
Officials said the suspect tried to force himself into the armored truck, but another security guard fired back at the suspect from the driver's seat. Shots were exchanged inside the vehicle, then the male security guard jumped out and more shots were fired.
Police tell us about a dozens rounds in all were fired between the two men.
The suspect was hit with one gunshot to the chest, officials said. He was pronounced dead at Ben Taub General Hospital.
The female security guard suffered a gunshot wound to the hip and was transported to an area hospital in stable condition. The male security guard was not injured.
The suspect had a getaway car nearby. Police said the driver of that car fled the scene. Police aren't providing a description of him or his vehicle.
No money was taken, but investigators believe robbery was the motive.
The theater was briefly locked down but soon re-opened.
The incident happened while people were waiting in line to enter the theater. Larry and Sandy Smith were inside when the shots rang out.
"There were people ducking behind the flowers, and then the police officer inside came outside and was pointing in the direction of the armored car," Larry Smith said. "Everybody went in very fast. They were knocking people out of the way to try and get inside because I guess they were there at the beginning of everything."
"A guy just came up to us as we were walking out and he said, 'Don't go anywhere yet because somebody just tried to rob the armored truck,'" Sandy Smith said.
The FBI is involved in this investigation. Please stay with Eyewitness News and abc13.com for updates as we continue following this story.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Bicyclist dies after Montrose-area hit-and-run 4 min ago
- Dr. accused of harassing woman she calls 'whore' 7 min ago
- Man, woman found shot at Pearland-area home 23 min ago
- Dad on trial for infant's beating death
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Texans vs. Jags on ABC13 Thursday night
- Couple accusing neighbor of recording their bedroom 17 min ago
- Company offering big reward for return of stolen truck 47 min ago
- Bledsoe leads Suns to 97-88 win over Rockets 6 min ago
- Woman falls through roof, rescued by firefighters
- Man finds his brother murdered in home
- Child killed by falling tree branch
- Police searching for armed robbery suspect
- HPD: Cop impersonator shot man during struggle