Sheriff Adrian Garcia sworn in for second term
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Harris County's sheriff is officially beginning his second term.
Sheriff Adrian Garcia was sworn into office Sunday.
Garcia was first elected to a four-year term as sheriff in 2008 and was re-elected back in November.
He thanked his family members for their support and his employees for their dedication.
"Many are putting themselves in harm's way for strangers as we speak," he said. "And in my opinion, there are no greater public servants than my employees, and I salute each and every one of them."
Garcia says the sheriff's office had eased jail overcrowding and solved a number of cold cases during since he's been in office.
Eyewitness News anchor Melanie Lawson emceed the ceremony.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Sketch released of suspect in elderly woman assault 31 min ago
- Smash-and-grab suspects lead police on chase 2 min ago
- Photos: 7 big brands that are stuggling
- Outlet mall shoppers get Sunday scare
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Video: Why ABC-13 anchors don't wear green on St.... 19 min ago
- 'Dancing With the Stars' season 18 kicks off tonight
- Residents jump from windows to escape apartment fire 44 min ago
- Don't click on those Malaysia Airlines Facebook posts 40 min ago
- St. Patrick's Day traditions decoded
- Keep grays at bay with root touch-up products 24 min ago
- Teen fatally shot remembered in service in Spring
- Canada-Mexico flight makes emergency Montana stop
- Fiat recalling more than 18,000 2014 Fiat 500Ls
- Why ABC-13 anchors don't wear green on St....
19 min ago