Sheriff Adrian Garcia sworn in for second term
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Harris County's sheriff is officially beginning his second term.
Sheriff Adrian Garcia was sworn into office Sunday.
Garcia was first elected to a four-year term as sheriff in 2008 and was re-elected back in November.
He thanked his family members for their support and his employees for their dedication.
"Many are putting themselves in harm's way for strangers as we speak," he said. "And in my opinion, there are no greater public servants than my employees, and I salute each and every one of them."
Garcia says the sheriff's office had eased jail overcrowding and solved a number of cold cases during since he's been in office.
Eyewitness News anchor Melanie Lawson emceed the ceremony.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Child dies in multi-vehicle wreck on 290 1 min ago
- Pickup rolls 6 times in northeast Harris County
- Man recovering after freak lawn-mowing accident
- Strong earthquake shakes central, southern Mexico
- Massive reward in brutally beaten dog case 41 min ago
- Student reports near abduction while leaving school 14 min ago
- Motorcyclist killed in NE Harris County wreck
- South Korean ferry boat captain arrested
- Texas officials say gang membership exceeds 100K
- Three accused of stealing items left on airplanes
- Promoters seek to bring back Galveston beach parties
- Key evidence recovered in double murder of Houston women
- Last week's Houston food truck violations
- Man shot while mowing lawn in N. Houston