Sheriff Adrian Garcia sworn in for second term
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Harris County's sheriff is officially beginning his second term.
Sheriff Adrian Garcia was sworn into office Sunday.
Garcia was first elected to a four-year term as sheriff in 2008 and was re-elected back in November.
He thanked his family members for their support and his employees for their dedication.
"Many are putting themselves in harm's way for strangers as we speak," he said. "And in my opinion, there are no greater public servants than my employees, and I salute each and every one of them."
Garcia says the sheriff's office had eased jail overcrowding and solved a number of cold cases during since he's been in office.
Eyewitness News anchor Melanie Lawson emceed the ceremony.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Car slams into two homes in wild crash 41 min ago
- Seatbelt couldn't save teen's life in crash
- Man found shot to death in SE Houston home
- Cigarette blamed for Taco Bell fire in Katy
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Phil's hiatus
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport 4 min ago
- Bear cubs get loose at Houston Zoo
- Three Webster officers go before judge today 11 min ago
- SW Houston family loses puppy in overnight fire 9 min ago
- Three local teams hope to bring home state football titles 10 min ago
- Repeat winner for most annoying word of 2013 17 min ago
- Residents on edge after Montgomery Co. flu deaths
- Girls' softball league evicted from their field
- Casey Curry's Friday forecast
46 min ago