Attorney accused of $9 million theft from Houston company faces judge
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A man accused of spending millions of dollars of company funds on sports and comic memorabilia was in court Monday morning after six months on the run.
Wearing an orange Harris County Jail jumpsuit, Anthony Chiofalo finally went before a judge. The 51-year-old is charged with embezzling more than $9 million from his employer. He was on the run for months with loads of cash.
"He had $150,000 in cash, and had been on the run for seven months. Nobody knew where he was," said his attorney Paul Doyle.
Chiofalo was head of legal affairs for Tadano America. The northwest Houston company produces high-end commercial cranes. Prosecutors say Chiofalo created a fake law firm funneling away millions to his personal account.
"He was in a position of trust and took advantage of that trust, in his position as legal director," said Tadano America attorney Philip Hilder.
Prosecutors say Chiofalo was not even a licensed attorney.
"The defendant was previously licensed by the state of New York as an attorney, subsequently disbarred, moved here to Houston and created this fake law firm, charged the Tadano company for domestic legal representation to the tune of $9.3 million," said prosecutor Martina Longoria.
Investigators say Chiofalo spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on comic books and sports memorabilia. Most of it is now confiscated.
Tadana reps say he only turned himself because he knew law enforcement was on his trail in Newport, Rhode Island.
"If Mr. Chiofalo wanted to cooperate, he would have not fled and turned himself in seven months ago," Hilder said.
Chiofalo faces life up to life in prison for felony theft over $200,000. He's being held without bond. His wife Susan is also charged in the case.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
local, erik barajas
- Boy, 3, drowns in apartment pool in SW Houston 31 min ago
- Person of interest located in death of mail carrier
- HCSO: Sergeant killed by suspected drunk driver
- Man shot, killed inside restaurant in NW Harris Co.
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- House party ends with one dead, 2 others injured
- Driver killed when SUV goes airborne 15 min ago
- Winner crowned at Gyro Eating Championship 19 min ago
- Volunteer firefighters save man from burning home
- Man found fatally shot at Motel 6 in east Houston 29 min ago
- $590M-plus Powerball: 1 winning ticket sold in Fla
- Photos: Memorial Hermann Ironman triathlon
- otrc: No 'Bridesmaids' sequel for Wiig
- abcnews: 5 security tips for Facebook mobile
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos