Sketch released of suspect in Dickinson girl's abduction and sex assault
DICKINSON, TX (KTRK) -- We have an update on a story we first brought you as breaking news last week. Authorities have released a more detailed description of a man who kidnapped and sexually assaulted a child.
Investigators say the man in the sketch dragged a 12-year-old Dickinson girl into the woods and sexually assaulted her on Thursday in the 3900 block of Cinnamon Cove Street. She escaped to a neighbor's house where her parents and police were called.
"It is devastating. A 12-year-old little girl, that shouldn't happen to her, especially in this neighborhood. It's pretty quiet around here," neighbor Garrett Horning said.
Detectives say the suspect is white, or possibly Hispanic, probably in his 20's, about 5 feet, 6 inches tall and weighing between 160 and 180 pounds. He was wearing a black and gray knit cap, a yellow hoodie and yellow windbreaker-type pants at the time of the attack.
But perhaps the most identifying feature on the man is a cross tattoo on his left cheek. Residents in the area say they'll be looking out for anyone who matches that description.
"I've never seen anything going on but my eyes will be peeled from now on for sure, and especially for that man right there," neighbor Dave Horning said. "Very few people have that (tattoo) and that's going to get him caught."
"If this is an accurate picture of him, I have a photographic memory and this picture is now locked in my mind," parent Tony Andres said. "If I see this guy on the street, I can't even say what I'd do, but I know that I'd definitely alert the authorities."
The child also was interviewed by a forensic specialist at the Advocacy Center for Children of Galveston County.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Dickinson police.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- NASA hopes to avoid emergency spacewalk on ISS
- Woman's life spared by inches in freak accident
- Cyclists ride to honor woman killed in hit-and-run
- Witnesses pull woman from fiery wreck
- 5 Things to Know for Today
- Shoppers getting excuses instead of packages
- California man accused of running 'revenge porn' site 13 min ago
- Astrodome to be considered historic landmark 31 min ago
- No jail for teen whose lawyers argued 'affluenza'
- Two of 3 suspected burglars caught in the act
- HISD board to discuss mascot controversy 15 min ago
- Dead leopard, other swag snagged at mansion party
- Photos: Time's Person of the Year: The unchosen
- Restaurant robbery attempt foiled by quick-thinking worker