Fuel spill prompts hours-long closure of Highway 290 at Pinemont
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A miles-long fuel spill in northwest Houston created a traffic nightmare for commuters heading outbound on Highway 290 Monday evening.
The incident happened shortly after 6pm on the service road of the Northwest Freeway just past the Pinemont Drive overpass.
Authorities say an 18-wheeler had a leak in its fuel tank and about 150 gallons of diesel spilled on the roadway for a few miles. As a result, crews were forced to shut down all outbound lanes of the highway, and drivers were forced to exit at 43rd Street.
"The diesel fuel on the roadway will make the road slick and can be hazardous to other drivers on the roadway if they drive through it. Plus, it's also flammable," said Capt. Joel Calfee with HPD's HazMat department.
The closure created a massive backup that turned the highway into a parking lot. In fact, one commuter shouted out to Eyewitness News that he had been stuck on the highway for three hours.
HazMat crews had the problem contained shortly before 9pm, but it took the contractor about another hour and half to clean up the mess. The highway wasn't reopened until shortly before 10:30pm.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Man found shot to death in SE Houston home 17 min ago
- Cigarette blamed for Taco Bell fire in Katy 27 min ago
- Girls' softball league evicted from their field
- Robber dashes out of vision store with pricy shades
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Chevron puts downtown Houston building plans on hold 50 min ago
- Duck Dynasty's Phil Robertson off the show after gay remark
- Investigators: Driver drank cologne to hide alcohol smell
- Dozens of people injured in London theater collapse
- Jury reaches verdict in disputed Farrah Fawcett portrait 41 min ago
- Houston psychic sued over 'love ritual'
- Houston man charged with murder in wife's shooting death
- Valuable artifacts stolen from historic home
- Video: Flu widespread in Harris County
- Sneak peek at rare art exhibit
52 min ago
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos