Sharp-eyed witness helps nab burglary suspects
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- For the fourth time in two months a popular Midtown restaurant is once again targeted by thieves. The crooks broke into the Reef restaurant off Travis and McGowan, but thanks to a vigilant neighbor police were able to catch the trio of suspects.
Investigators are interviewing the suspects to determine if they may be connected to any other break-ins around Midtown.
Restaurant owner Bryan Caswell spent another morning replacing glass at Reef in Midtown. Just after midnight police say three thieves used a crow bar to force their way in and steal a TV and dozens of bottles of liquor from the bar.
"It's been the fourth time in two months that we've been broken into," Caswell said. "Same door, same thing, TV, bunch of booze."
But the trio of burglars didn't get far, thanks in part to eyewitness Matt Gaines.
"I saw some an individual run out with a TV under his arm," he said. "I saw them jump in a car so I just got the license plate and called the police."
In minutes the alert went out over police radios. Blocks away an off-duty police officer spotted and arrested the crooks.
"Luckily, an off-duty cop, a concerned citizen and HPD, they saved the day," Caswell said. "I feel great about it."
As do his neighbors...
"I'm glad whoever done that jumped into action and everything," said Charles Barnes. "That's a good thing."
For Gaines, that quick action took no thought at all.
"Just wanted to look out for them and try to do the right thing," he said.
Burglary charges are pending against the male suspect, but so far the two female suspects have not been charged.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
local, sonia azad
- Suspect in wreck that killed sergeant goes to court 52 min ago
- ATM stolen in smash-and-grab burglary
- Tornado-hit states brace for more bad storms 11 min ago
- Boy, 3, drowns in apartment pool in SW Houston
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Houston Super Bowl committee makes pitch in Boston
- Dreamliner returns to skies today with flight from Houston 12 min ago
- Justin Bieber gets booed at Billboard Music Awards
- One dies, another injured in head-on accident
- HISD security officer goes before judge today
- Photos: Gyro-eating contest at Greek Festival
- otrc: No 'Bridesmaids' sequel for Wiig
- abcnews: 5 security tips for Facebook mobile
- Video: Huge tornado caught on camera in Kansas
9 min ago
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos