Police find two-year-old Alizae Mata, cancel Amber Alert
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Police say a young girl who allegedly was kidnapped by a family friend was found unharmed late last night in southeast Houston.
Houston police say they located Alizae Mata around 11:30pm after they tracked her alleged abductor, 22-year-old Jessenia Saldana, to an apartment complex in the 8400 block of Broadway.
Alizae and Saldana had been missing since they left to run errands Wednesday afternoon. According to police, the little girl was allowed to go with Saldana, but then the two never returned.
Police say Saldana called the girl's mother, Crystal Mata, Thursday evening and told her she would drop Alizae off at Memorial Hermann Hospital. The mother rushed up to the hospital, but the pair was not there.
As a result, the Houston Police Department issued the Amber Alert, and Alizae's mother was left pleading for help.
"I think she was here. I just don't know where. I don't know where. And this part is scaring me, I don't know where my baby is. I don't know who she's with anymore. Please, I'm scared for my baby's life. She's only two," Crystal Mata told Eyewitness News shortly before the alert was canceled.
The mother and daughter were reunited last night. Police say the child appears to be OK, but investigators recommend she gets checked out fo a doctor.
Saldana was arrested at the scene and now faces a charge of kidnapping.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Former Port of Houston IT director accused of theft 57 min ago
- NASA hopes to avoid emergency spacewalk on ISS 34 min ago
- Woman's life spared by inches in freak accident
- Cyclists ride to honor woman killed in hit-and-run
- Boy's mouth duct taped for talking in class 31 min ago
- 5 Things to Know for Today
- Shoppers getting excuses instead of packages
- 'Fake' interpreter: 'I was hallucinating' 8 min ago
- Driver charged after turning to cosmetic for revenge 17 min ago
- California man accused of running 'revenge porn' site
- Motorcyclist dies after colliding with car
- Witnesses pull woman from fiery wreck
- Are more Doritos-flavored foods on the way?
- Astrodome to be considered historic landmark
- Woman jailed over nasty note in lipstick
35 min ago