Homicide detectives probing baby's death in north Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A Houston father is under arrest after police discovered his child dead in north Houston on Thursday.
It happened around midday at an apartment complex in the 16000 block of City View Place, and the HPD crime scene unit spent the rest of the day scouring the scene for evidence.
Police were dispatched to the complex around 1:30pm after they received a call from someone claiming there was a child in cardiac arrest.
Police say it looked as if the two-year-old boy, who's been identified as Jashaun Davis, had been badly beaten.
According to an officer on scene, the toddler's father, Tyrone Jefferson, was questioned by detectives and told he them his son became unresponsive after a spanking. According to court documents, the toddler's head was struck against a wall. He was pronounced dead shortly after arrival at a nearby hospital.
Police say the mother was at work when the incident happened. She seemed completely devastated when she spoke with us Friday.
"I was gonna tell him to leave that same day. It was too late. I love that boy more than life itself," the boy's mother, Angela Davis, said.
Jefferson, 24, was later charged with capital murder.
Meanwhile, neighbors are still trying to figure out what happened.
"He looked innocent, like he wouldn't do something like this, but you know never know what's in people's mind," neighbor Evelyn Cloud said.
If you would like to help the family with funeral costs, please make a donation at any Bank of America location to the "Jashaun A Davis Memorial Fund."
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Two women found dead in Galveston County 34 min ago
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home 35 min ago
- Malaysia Airlines says plane missing 57 min ago
- What's being done to keep carnival-goers safe?
- Jimmy Kimmel ready to film show in Austin 22 min ago
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Teen in NW Harris Co. fight arrested after burglary
- Photos: Ladies' Night Out at RodeoHouston
- Man chasing $20 gets stuck in sewer for two days
- Mother of newborn found in dumpster charged
- Ft. Bend Co. girls softball league treasurer charged
- Last week's Houston food truck violations
- Ex-girlfriend testifies Olympican cheated on her
- Photos: Kardashians' fake home for sale