Woman found shot to death inside running SUV in SW Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Houston police may have a hard time solving a woman's murder. She was gunned down behind the wheel of her SUV, and there are few clues as to what may have happened.The woman was found dead along Birdwood near Renwick in southwest Houston late Thursday night. She was killed just a couple of blocks away from her apartment complex, and the murder has her friends and neighbors very concerned right now.
Friends are leaving stuffed animals and balloons, building a small roadside memorial in memory of a woman who was shot and left to die.
"She was great," said Kim Ortiz, a friend of the victim. "She was funny, friendly."
Ortiz says the 29-year-old victim was her best friend. Police say the woman was driving her SUV when an unknown person shot her in the head on the 5400 block of Birdwood around 11pm Thursday. Several neighbors woke up to the commotion.
Neighbor Lew Williams said, 'Heard three shots, very loud. It sounded like it was bang... and then bang, bang."
Investigators say the victim wasn't robbed. And they're speculating road rage could have played a part in this murder. The woman's friends just want some answers.
"She was trying to get back on her feet," Ortiz said. "She was bettering herself. She was going to school."
Police believe the victim backed her SUV off the street and onto a field trying to escape the gunman. A neighbor passing by found her dead behind the wheel. Several witnesses told police they saw a black Tahoe speeding from the scene after the shooting.
"I hope that if somebody knows that person or knows what happened, they could say something. Because we're all wondering," Ortiz said. "We all just want to know something. Something needs to be done. Justice needs to happen."
Officials have not yet released the victim's name. Investigators are canvassing the neighborhood and looking for surveillance video.
Anyone with information in this case is urged to contact the HPD Homicide Division at 713-308-3600 or Crime Stoppers at 713-222-TIPS.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
local, demond fernandez
- Bodies of two women found in Galveston County 51 min ago
- Mother of newborn found in dumpster charged
- What's being done to keep carnival-goers safe? 53 min ago
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Man chasing $20 gets stuck in sewer for two days
- Ex-girlfriend testifies Olympican cheated on her
- Photos: Kardashians' fake home for sale
- Police impersonator sexually assaults woman
- Prankster's good deed prank leads to tears of joy
- Video: Generous students get visit from big Texan 56 min ago
- Save during spring break with freebies
- Comic book banned because it mentions Allah
- Tim Heller's weather forecast
28 min ago