Texans pride especially strong at one local school
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Houston is covered in a sea of red and blue as Mayor Annise Parker declared today "Go Texans Day".
All over town, expect to see people sporting their Texans gear in anticipation of the team's big playoff match-up with New England this weekend. Team spirit is especially high at a school that has very close ties to the man who will be calling the plays on Sunday.
St. Pius is proud to claim Texans Head Coach Gary Kubiak as one of its alums. He played football and graduated from there in 1979.
On campus today, students traded the usual school uniforms at St. Pius for Texans jerseys, Texans T-shirts and the like, just as fans across the city are.
The students are all dressed to show their Houston Texans pride, and pride in a person who once walked the same halls.
Students also created and hung signs declaring their support for the St. Pius alum.
"I think it's just big that we continue to support him," said St. Pius student Kohl Stewart. "It makes it fun that he's one of us and his name is everywhere and he's the face of the franchise."
"To feel like that man went here, it just makes the Texans pride that much more here," added student Jourdan Alvarez.
"It's amazing, especially since he's such a hard worker and everything he's done is incredible," said student Brianna Santiago.
Don't forget to catch our 'Houston Texans: Road to the Ring' special Friday at 7pm on ABC13, as the Texans try to take another major step to their first Super Bowl.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
houston texans, nfl, local, elissa rivas
- Road rage incident ends with shooting of girl
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Sugar Land man charged after Walmart lockdown
- One dead in auto-pedestrian wreck on south side of town 4 min ago
- Big rig driver involved in deadly 290 wreck wil be charged 56 min ago
- Good Samaritans run over in SW Houston carjacking
- Good Samaritans rescue mom, kids after wreck
- Miss America comes to the aid of suspended student
- Celebrate Easter with animals at Houston Zoo
- Local designer's cultural dolls big hit in Houston area
- Several dogs rescued, others die in NE Harris Co. fire
- Local church donates shoes to needy Haitians
- Nice weather for Easter!