Armed man shot by Houston police outside night club
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Officials say a Houston police officer shot a suspect who allegedly threatened an off-duty officer with a gun.
According to police, the off-duty officer arrived at a night club on Webster near Bastrop -- south of downtown Houston -- around 1:30am Saturday. As he got out of the car, a man walked up to him and flashed his weapon.
We're told the officer warned the suspect he is a Houston police officer, but the suspect allegedly showed him his gun one more time.
That's when the officer drove to a nearby police substation and came back with a few uniformed officers. They found the suspect still there on the scene.
Uniformed officers reportedly approached the suspect who again brandished his weapon, officials said.
"The officers give him commands to show his hands, stop, drop the weapon," HPD spokesperson Jodi Silva said. "The suspect begins to walk away, turns around, points the gun in the direction of one of the officers and that officer, in fear of his life, discharged his duty weapon."
The suspect was shot multiple times, but police said the injuries were not life threatening. He was transported to Ben Taub General Hospital.
No officers were hurt in the shooting. The on-duty police officer who shot him has not been identified, but we have been told he's been with the force for three years.
The police department is still interviewing witnesses and gathering more details about what happened as this investigation continues.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Gas station clerks shoot robbery suspect
- Helping military families, one child at a time
- Browns agree to deal with ex-Texan RB Tate
- Young artists put on unique display
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Man killed by authorities 'Into the wild' hunter
- Sea survivor keeps promise he made to dead friend
- Daughter asks: Who did I bury?
- Workers recover Bible from rubble of NYC buildings
- Police: Man lived with dead wife for days
- Girl, 5, spends day at wrong school
- Search expands for missing Rice U student
- Siblings rescued 8 hours after getting lost in woods