Wedding dresses discounted for a good cause
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- An estimated 300 brides to be are expected to attend a big sale at the Sheraton Suites near the Houston Galleria this weekend. They're looking for a great gown at the perfect price, and it's all for a worthy cause.
A sea of white taffeta, tulle, silk and lace has taken over the hotel.
Racks and racks of discounted designer wedding gowns -- a thousand of them -- would be enough to grab any bride's attention.
"It looked like there were a lot of wedding dresses that were available to choose from, and I really wanted to come out and give it a try and see what it was all about," bride-to-be Kristin Hoefar said.
But this sale is special for another reason. All of these gowns -- some worth $8,000 -- are being sold to raise money for breast cancer patients and their families.
"I've had a few friends who've been affected by it, so I am definitely a supporter of awareness," hoefar
"We're all about helping with breast cancer and finding a wedding dress," mother-in-law of a bride Pam Hanson said.
The sale is put on by a nationwide charity called Brides Against Breast Cancer. Gowns are offered at deep discounts -- 25-85 percent off, thanks to designers, manufacturers and bridal shops that support the effort.
From size 0 to 30, there is something for everyone.
"We do over 70 cities a year, so we're in a different city every weekend, so we see a lot of different brides," said Lakisha Mosley with Brides Against Breast Cancer. "We have the traditional bride, the second time bride; we even have ladies who come in just special events that want dresses."
Brides focused on their own big day say the fact that it helps someone else is icing on the wedding cake.
"My grandmother and two of my aunts had breast cancer, and wedding dresses at a discount you can't beat that," bride-to-be Katie Murray said.
You still have time to grab your gown! The sale continues Sunday from 11am to 4pm.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
local, katie mccall
- Sketch released of suspect in elderly woman assault 38 min ago
- Smash-and-grab suspects lead police on chase 51 min ago
- Photos: 7 big brands that are stuggling
- Outlet mall shoppers get Sunday scare
- Video: Why ABC-13 anchors don't wear green on St....
- NCAA Tournament 2014 bracket 25 min ago
- Earthquake strongly felt across Los Angeles 21 min ago
- Officer-involved shooting under investigation in SW Houston 37 min ago
- 'Dancing With the Stars' season 18 kicks off tonight
- Indianapolis Colts owner arrested for DWI 56 min ago
- Residents jump from windows to escape apartment fire
- Don't click on those Malaysia Airlines Facebook posts
- St. Patrick's Day traditions decoded
- Keep grays at bay with root touch-up products