Dad suffers medical condition before court appearance
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A man arrested for allegedly killing his two-year-old son last week apparently suffered a medical problem Monday morning just hours before he was set to appear before a judge.
Tyrone Jefferson is charged with capital murder in the death of his two-year-old son. According to the court clerk, Jefferson, who is 24 years old, was having chest pain, and was taken to the jail's clinic, and that is why he was unable to make his court appearance.
Prosecutors say that on Thursday Jefferson was alone with his two-year-old son Jashaun Davis while the child's mother, Jefferson's girlfriend, was at work. Police said Jefferson had claimed his child became unresponsive after a spanking, and he called 911.
Once Jashaun arrived at Memorial Hermann Hospital, the doctors who pronounced him dead told the officers the boy had both old and new bruises, indicating abuse of an ongoing nature. They also said the toddler's skull was fractured.
During questioning, officers say Jefferson admitted to repeatedly striking the two-year-old with a belt, and slapping him, causing his head to hit a wall. That head injury, according to court records, is believed to have been Jashaun's cause of death.
Tyrone Jefferson is being held without bond, and has not been assigned counsel yet. His case has been reset for January 28.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
local, katie mccall
- Employees shot outside Galleria area restaurant 27 min ago
- Is Pearland mom the most 'unstoppable?' 1 min ago
- Kids hospitalized after chemical leak at pool
- One taken to hospital after SUV drives into salon
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Girl gets finger stuck in recalled Easy Bake Oven
- Malaysia not sure which way lost jet was headed 30 min ago
- Flight diverted to Houston after baby stops breathing 40 min ago
- Federal government could get involved in school fight 10 min ago
- Prom dress shop rallies community to help teen 19 min ago
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Doc reaches deal in bizarre break-in case
- 'I'm dying' - Crocodile Hunter's final words 2 min ago
- CVS could face millions in fines for missing painkillers 25 min ago