Dad suffers medical condition before court appearance
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A man arrested for allegedly killing his two-year-old son last week apparently suffered a medical problem Monday morning just hours before he was set to appear before a judge.
Tyrone Jefferson is charged with capital murder in the death of his two-year-old son. According to the court clerk, Jefferson, who is 24 years old, was having chest pain, and was taken to the jail's clinic, and that is why he was unable to make his court appearance.
Prosecutors say that on Thursday Jefferson was alone with his two-year-old son Jashaun Davis while the child's mother, Jefferson's girlfriend, was at work. Police said Jefferson had claimed his child became unresponsive after a spanking, and he called 911.
Once Jashaun arrived at Memorial Hermann Hospital, the doctors who pronounced him dead told the officers the boy had both old and new bruises, indicating abuse of an ongoing nature. They also said the toddler's skull was fractured.
During questioning, officers say Jefferson admitted to repeatedly striking the two-year-old with a belt, and slapping him, causing his head to hit a wall. That head injury, according to court records, is believed to have been Jashaun's cause of death.
Tyrone Jefferson is being held without bond, and has not been assigned counsel yet. His case has been reset for January 28.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
local, katie mccall
- Thieves slash bank customer's tire, nab purse 16 min ago
- Missing 14-year-old girl found safe in South Texas
- Video from N. Houston pawn shop robbery released
- Armed robbers pistol whip McDonald's manager
- Nail flies into man's chest during freak accident
- Most insane job interview ever
- Plaza sale sparks parking problem for nearby church
- Lottery dates for 2015 Houston marathon announced
- Last week's Houston restaurant violations
- Jumbo jet to move through streets of Clear Lake
- Suspect: 'My girl is about to rob the store'
- Marriage fraud conspiracy lands 4 in prison
- Man held up on his way home from bank
- Reward to nab Most Wanted sex offender climbs to $13K
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos