Police: Car chase suspects die in crash near Houston Ship Channel
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Pasadena police are investigating a car chase that ended in a crash that killed two suspects last night near the Houston Ship Channel.
The chase started around 6pm at Main and Pitts in Pasadena. An officer noticed a white Chevy Impala going the wrong way and when he called it in, he discovered that it been reported stolen during a carjacking in Houston.
The officer tried to stop the car, but when the driver wouldn't, he gave chase.
The officer followed the car onto the northbound lanes of the East Loop, but as they approached the Clinton exit, the pursuing officer made a decision.
"As the vehicle traveled over the 610 bridge, the officer made the determination that the vehicle was driving too eratic, too unsafe, so he decided to back off. He stated his intentions on the radio," Pasadena Police Department Lt. James Holt said. "Shortly after, the vehicle exited the freeway and struck the barrier behind us."
The male driver of the vehicle was ejected and died at the scene. A female passenger also was killed. They have not been identified.
Police say the impact was so severe that it moved a concrete barrier five to six inches. As a result, crews closed the right lane of the East Loop's northbound lanes, as well as the exit to Clinton, to repair the damage. The closure caused traffic delays in the area.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Pickup rolls 6 times in northeast Harris County 42 min ago
- Man recovering after freak lawn-mowing accident
- Strong earthquake shakes central, southern Mexico
- Security guard fatally shot in SW Houston
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- South Korean ferry boat captain arrested
- Texas officials say gang membership exceeds 100K
- Three accused of stealing items left on airplanes
- Promoters seek to bring back Galveston beach parties
- Key evidence recovered in double murder of Houston women
- Last week's Houston food truck violations
- Man shot while mowing lawn in N. Houston
- Man allegedly seen on video during burglary charged
- Police: Man suffocated son so he could play video games
- Tim Heller's weather forecast
43 min ago
- Houston's cardinal to attend popes'...
20 min ago