Police: Car chase suspects die in crash near Houston Ship Channel
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Pasadena police are investigating a car chase that ended in a crash that killed two suspects last night near the Houston Ship Channel.
The chase started around 6pm at Main and Pitts in Pasadena. An officer noticed a white Chevy Impala going the wrong way and when he called it in, he discovered that it been reported stolen during a carjacking in Houston.
The officer tried to stop the car, but when the driver wouldn't, he gave chase.
The officer followed the car onto the northbound lanes of the East Loop, but as they approached the Clinton exit, the pursuing officer made a decision.
"As the vehicle traveled over the 610 bridge, the officer made the determination that the vehicle was driving too eratic, too unsafe, so he decided to back off. He stated his intentions on the radio," Pasadena Police Department Lt. James Holt said. "Shortly after, the vehicle exited the freeway and struck the barrier behind us."
The male driver of the vehicle was ejected and died at the scene. A female passenger also was killed. They have not been identified.
Police say the impact was so severe that it moved a concrete barrier five to six inches. As a result, crews closed the right lane of the East Loop's northbound lanes, as well as the exit to Clinton, to repair the damage. The closure caused traffic delays in the area.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Vandals strike vehicles in Heights neighborhood 18 min ago
- Know the guy in this surveillance video? 37 min ago
- HISD schools may ditch Indian-themed mascots 46 min ago
- Parts of Astrodome demolished
- 5 Things to Know for Today
- Big rig driver involved in deadly wreck due in court today
- Man wakes up locked in jet at Bush IAH
- More cold air moves in; sunshine returns tomorrow
- Video: Amazing video from N. Texas after winter...
- Just what we needed - a tougher cockroach
- Texas touts law protecting Christmas in schools
- Gary Kubiak thanks team, fans in full page ad
- Good idea or bad? Baby bouncy chair with attached iPad
- North Korea purges Kim Jong Un's powerful uncle