Celebration for landing of Dreamliner plane at O'Hare canceled
January 16, 2013 (CHICAGO) -- The Federal Aviation Administration grounded Boeing's new Dreamliner 787 plane due to safety concerns Wednesday.
Chicago's O'Hare International Airport felt the impact of the decision.
For LOT Polish Airlines, Wednesday evening was supposed to be the Boeing Dreamliners' coming out party at O'Hare.
"The event tonight has been cancelled," LOT's Frank Joost said. "We would not feel it's appropriate."
Today, an ANA flight made an emergency landing in Japan when someone smelled smoke in the aircraft.
Last week, a Japan Air flight made an emergency landing in Boston.
The FAA grounded U.S. Dreamliner flights saying it was necessary to study the "battery fire risk and said that flights wouldn't resume until the "batteries are safe and in compliance."
"Unfortunately, this is no longer just a few glitches. This is a pattern that people are concerned about," DePaul University Transportation Professor Joe Schwieterman said.
For Polish dignitaries invited to the O'Hare party, it was a letdown.
"It would have been nice to see the plane," the Vice President of the National Polish Alliance Paul Odrobina said.
"This year was the 40th anniversary of the first flights between Warsaw and Chicago," the Director of Polish Museum of America Jan Lorys said. "I'm disappointed but I guess I understand."
LOT Polish Airlines' Dreamliner arrived in Chicago from Warsaw Wednesday.
"The flight was smooth and perfect. The plane flies great," passenger Konrad Biedron said. "The whole flight was awesome. I'm really surprised."
Wednesday night's return flight to Warsaw was cancelled.
"This is the only flight we have scheduled, so yes, we are not flying the plane at this point," Joost said.
"I'm glad they actually made it because safety always comes first," a passenger on the canceled flight Kamil Styla said.
boeing 787 dreamliner, local, stacey baca
- Thieves slash bank customer's tire, nab purse
- Missing 14-year-old girl found safe in South Texas
- Video from N. Houston pawn shop robbery released
- Armed robbers pistol whip McDonald's manager
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Nail flies into man's chest during freak accident
- Most insane job interview ever
- Firetruck plows into LA-area cafe; 15 hurt 30 min ago
- Plaza sale sparks parking problem for nearby church
- Lottery dates for 2015 Houston marathon announced 56 min ago
- German Shepherd called to jury duty in New Jersey 28 min ago
- Robber who was homesick for prison to be sentenced 14 min ago
- Fears rise for missing in SKorea ferry sinking 35 min ago
- All 'View' co-hosts will salute Barbara Walters 56 min ago