Celebration for landing of Dreamliner plane at O'Hare canceled
January 16, 2013 (CHICAGO) -- The Federal Aviation Administration grounded Boeing's new Dreamliner 787 plane due to safety concerns Wednesday.
Chicago's O'Hare International Airport felt the impact of the decision.
For LOT Polish Airlines, Wednesday evening was supposed to be the Boeing Dreamliners' coming out party at O'Hare.
"The event tonight has been cancelled," LOT's Frank Joost said. "We would not feel it's appropriate."
Today, an ANA flight made an emergency landing in Japan when someone smelled smoke in the aircraft.
Last week, a Japan Air flight made an emergency landing in Boston.
The FAA grounded U.S. Dreamliner flights saying it was necessary to study the "battery fire risk and said that flights wouldn't resume until the "batteries are safe and in compliance."
"Unfortunately, this is no longer just a few glitches. This is a pattern that people are concerned about," DePaul University Transportation Professor Joe Schwieterman said.
For Polish dignitaries invited to the O'Hare party, it was a letdown.
"It would have been nice to see the plane," the Vice President of the National Polish Alliance Paul Odrobina said.
"This year was the 40th anniversary of the first flights between Warsaw and Chicago," the Director of Polish Museum of America Jan Lorys said. "I'm disappointed but I guess I understand."
LOT Polish Airlines' Dreamliner arrived in Chicago from Warsaw Wednesday.
"The flight was smooth and perfect. The plane flies great," passenger Konrad Biedron said. "The whole flight was awesome. I'm really surprised."
Wednesday night's return flight to Warsaw was cancelled.
"This is the only flight we have scheduled, so yes, we are not flying the plane at this point," Joost said.
"I'm glad they actually made it because safety always comes first," a passenger on the canceled flight Kamil Styla said.
boeing 787 dreamliner, local, stacey baca
- Texans fire head coach Gary Kubiak 1 min ago
- Shots fired during armored car robbery on UH campus 25 min ago
- Winter weather wreaks havoc across North Texas 15 min ago
- South Africans mourn, celebrate Mandela
- 5 Things to Know for Today 4 min ago
- President Obama remarks on passing of Mandela
- Reaction to passing of Nelson Mandela
- How Mandela changed everything with a rugby jersey
- Instead of drive-thru breakfast, couple gets bag of cash
- Worker dies in trench collapse in NW Harris County
- They're serious about spitting in Minnesota!
- 'Cannibal sandwiches' sicken Wisconsin residents
- Business owner turns to social media to find shoplifter
- Move over emerald, a new color will take over next year