Hospital ER evacuated when heater sends smoke through building
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- An emergency room had to be evacuated overnight because smoke was coming from a vent.
It happened around 1:50am at the Northwest Medical Center on FM 1960 near Cali. There were about two dozen people in that area of the building at the time.
"We were all sitting down in the lobby area. My cousin said she smelled some smoke, so we all started smelling it," said witness Kevys Watson. "Next thing I know, there was smoke coming out of the vent right when you walked in."
Fire officials believe they know what caused the problem.
"On arrival, we investigated and found that there was an air handling unit causing the smoke," said Deputy Chief Scott Windisch with the Ponderosa Fire Department. "At this time, the air handling unit has been disabled and smoke has been depleted."
Officials are now using a large volume fan to clear out the emergency room.
There were no reported injuries.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Bodies of two women found in Galveston County 12 min ago
- Mother of newborn found in dumpster charged
- Two bodies found in rubble of burned down home 6 min ago
- Shots fired during SW Houston restaurant robbery
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Man chasing $20 gets stuck in sewer for two days 32 min ago
- Ex-girlfriend testifies Olympican cheated on her
- Photos: Kardashians' fake home for sale
- Police impersonator sexually assaults woman
- Prankster's good deed prank leads to tears of joy
- Video: Generous students get visit from big Texan
- Save during spring break with freebies
- Comic book banned because it mentions Allah
- ESPN: Johnny Football signs multi-year deal