Woman shot through front door during ambush in SW Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Houston police are investigating an attack on a woman in southwest Houston who was shot as she was arriving home from work Wednesday night.
Shirley Smith, 59, had just gotten home and was taking out the trash at around midnight when two men approached her. One of them had a weapon. They forced her into the house, telling her to shut off the alarm when it went off. But she took the opportunity to shut the door on them. In turn, they shot through the front door, hitting her in the leg.
Police were called to the scene, but the men escaped without taking anything. Police aren't sure if the suspects fled on foot or by car, but they remain on the loose.
Smith has been treated for her gunshot wound at Memorial Hermann Southwest Hospital and released.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
local, elissa rivas
- Kubiak era ends in Houston
- Shots fired during armored car robbery on UH campus
- Winter weather wreaks havoc across North Texas
- South Africans mourn, celebrate Mandela
- 5 Things to Know for Today
- President Obama remarks on passing of Mandela
- Reaction to passing of Nelson Mandela
- How Mandela changed everything with a rugby jersey
- Instead of drive-thru breakfast, couple gets bag of cash
- Worker dies in trench collapse in NW Harris County
- Photos: Share Your Holidays Food Drive 52 min ago
- They're serious about spitting in Minnesota!
- 'Cannibal sandwiches' sicken Wisconsin residents
- Business owner turns to social media to find shoplifter