HPD: Man tries to shoot himself in gas station
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Police are investigating a shooting at a gas station/convenience store in east Houston.
The shooting happened at about 2:15pm inside a Texaco station at 9101 Clinton Drive. According to police at the scene, a 28-year-old man, who's a regular customer of the store, went in and grabbed the store clerk's gun. He reportedly tried to shoot himself in the head, but the gun wouldn't fire.
We're told the clerk struggled with the man, trying to prevent him from shooting anyone, when the man then pointed the gun at a customer in the store.
"Once he pointed the weapon towards me, I left right then," said customer John Bowman. "So I was sitting outside on the curb. That's when the clerk came running outside. That's when somebody called the police. Once he was able to get somebody to call the police for him, the weapon went off, two times -- Pow, pow!"
Police arrived on the scene and took the man into custody after a short standoff. He was not struck, nor was anyone else injured. We're told the man will be charged with attempted robbery.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Man recovering after freak lawn-mowing accident 18 min ago
- Strong earthquake shakes central, southern Mexico
- Security guard fatally shot in SW Houston
- Man shot while mowing lawn in N. Houston 50 min ago
- South Korean ferry boat captain arrested
- Pickup rolls 6 times in northeast Harris County 1 min ago
- Texas officials say gang membership exceeds 100K
- Three accused of stealing items left on airplanes 14 min ago
- Promoters seek to bring back Galveston beach parties 48 min ago
- Key evidence recovered in double murder of Houston women
- Man allegedly seen on video during burglary charged
- It's Free Stuff Friday!
- Police: Man suffocated son so he could play video games
- Last week's Houston food truck violations
- Bakery owner turned hobby into successful...
38 min ago