HPD: Man tries to shoot himself in gas station
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Police are investigating a shooting at a gas station/convenience store in east Houston.
The shooting happened at about 2:15pm inside a Texaco station at 9101 Clinton Drive. According to police at the scene, a 28-year-old man, who's a regular customer of the store, went in and grabbed the store clerk's gun. He reportedly tried to shoot himself in the head, but the gun wouldn't fire.
We're told the clerk struggled with the man, trying to prevent him from shooting anyone, when the man then pointed the gun at a customer in the store.
"Once he pointed the weapon towards me, I left right then," said customer John Bowman. "So I was sitting outside on the curb. That's when the clerk came running outside. That's when somebody called the police. Once he was able to get somebody to call the police for him, the weapon went off, two times -- Pow, pow!"
Police arrived on the scene and took the man into custody after a short standoff. He was not struck, nor was anyone else injured. We're told the man will be charged with attempted robbery.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Body pulled from rubble of burned down home
- Shots fired during SW Houston restaurant robbery 45 min ago
- Police impersonator sexually assaults woman
- Ex-girlfriend testifies Olympican cheated on her
- Officer fatally shoots burglary suspect
- Photos: Kardashians' fake home for sale 11 min ago
- Prankster's good deed prank leads to tears of joy
- Save during spring break with freebies
- Comic book banned because it mentions Allah
- ESPN: Johnny Football signs multi-year deal 33 min ago
- Employers add 175K jobs despite harsh weather
- Blind man survives fall onto subway tracks
- Recipes to make deep fried treats at home
- Fortune cookie lottery numbers scores NY woman a fortune
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos