Boy, 4, killed by dog in Conroe
CONROE, TX (KTRK) -- A four-year-old boy was killed by a dog Saturday night in Conroe.
It happened around 5:15pm a home in the 5700 block of Pinehurst Street.
Christian Gormanous -- like many boys his age -- loved to dress up like Spiderman.
He was playing with his nine-year-old sister, Trinity, in their backyard when he climbed over a chain link fence into a neighbor's yard.
Investigators said the dog was chained, but the boy was within its reach. The dog attacked and bit him.
"Trinity was able to get the dog off of him; brought her brother back over the fence [and] told her mother the dog had attacked Christian," family friend Debra Dreyer said.
Their mother was inside the house, feeding her newborn baby. Horrified at what happened, her friends say she tried to save her son and called 911. Emergency crews rushed little Christian to a hospital by helicopter, but he didn't survive.
"She's a great mom. She is. This is killing her. It's very hard," family friend Misty Price said. "I know this is hurting her."
For now, close friends surround the distraught family that is now less one child. They say they are turning to their faith to carry them through.
"It's an animal. Animals run on instinct. We don't know exactly what was in the dog's mind," Price said. "All we know is Christian is gone and we're going to be here to uplift the family."
Animal control officers took custody of the dog, officials said. The investigation is ongoing, but criminal charges are not expected.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
local, sonia azad
- Family scrambles to safety from burning home
- Ex-BP engineer convicted on 1 obstruction charge
- Sketch released of suspect in brazen robbery
- Chase suspect crashes into tree in NW Houston
- Keenum out; Schaub to start against Broncos 9 min ago
- 2 winning Mega Millions tickets sold
- New cameras to help cops settle disputes 53 min ago
- Good Samaritan saves Christmas for foster child
- Feds to reduce stimulus due to improving job market 20 min ago
- Suit: Risk of fire aboard Carnival's 'Triumph' known
- 5 Things to Know for Today
- Man wanted in deadly W. Harris Co. shooting turns self in
- Delivery man hides present in trash...on trash day
- Tourist distracted by Facebook falls off pier