Student tackled, robbed on University of Houston campus
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A robbery occurred on the University of Houston campus, and police are reminding to students to be cautious.
We spoke to UH architecture students who knew about the robbery from the campus alert system
"I just look around a lot. That's all I do," student Stephanie Crabtree said.
"You have to kind of watch out as you're going to your car and stuff," student William White said.
UH police say the robbery happened around 11pm Friday in the 3000 block of Callie Street north of the Athletic Alumni Center.
Alice Cossey was walking with her two grandchildren near the intersection when we spoke to her Sunday night.
"Things happen anywhere," Cossey said. "You never know. You just have to keep your eyes and ears open and look out after your neighbors, so that's what we try to do."
The two male suspects grabbed the victim from behind and tackled him before demanding his wallet and watch. Police say the two robbers were not armed.
"It's kind of scary because I walk here at night all the time to go back. I live in the dorm," Katrina Winsko said. "It's not really settling to see that all the time."
And students take whatever action they can to protect themselves.
"I tend to move my car closer to the building before it gets dark so I don't have to walk as far at night because it does happen a lot -- robberies and stuff," student Paulina Seng said.
Police sent the security alert to students, reminding them confrontations can occur without provocation. They encourage students to stay alert and calm, walk in groups when possible and be cautious when approached by strangers.
Police also encourage students to report any incidents immediately with as many details as possible. Use the on-campus emergency call boxes or call 911 or 713-743-3333.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
local, christine dobbyn
- Houston man was supposed to be on missing plane
- Valet driver crashes, totals man's SUV
- Wife charged in hubby's New Year's Eve murder
- Violent House of Pies robbery linked to murder
- Jimmy Kimmel, crew in Austin for SXSW
- Shots fired during armored car robbery
- Neighbors upset over gun range near homes
- Four sent to hospital after gas leak at school
- Houston car thieves' wish list
- Truck slams into fast food restaurant
- Suspect arrested wearing Cookie Monster onesie
- Vicious pet cat traps Oregon couple, who call 911
- 'Ban Bossy' campaign to empower girls to lead
- Mom accused of beating son with mop, bat