Bald eagles spotted living in heart of Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- There's something majestic flying the skies near the Texas Medical Center and it explains why so many people around Hermann Park are looking up in the air.
It started with a walk around the park 11 days ago that Aimee Keeney two with her two young sons. Connor, 7, looked up.
"I saw this bald eagle over my head," he recalled. "I said, 'Wow, Mom, a bald eagle!' And my mom, who saw the country's national bird many times in Alaska, was skeptical."
Connor, you see, is also a self-described nature lover, and he knows his birds.
He said, "It had a white tail and it had some brown wings, brown wings on both sides."
The proof could be seen through Aimee Keeney's camera. She captured photos of a bald eagle in the foreground and a high rise building across from the park in the background. She followed that with a series of images that shows the bald eagle in flight, soaring above the golf course. As it turns out, the eagle has a family.
Aimee said, "There was a second one in that tree over there and we watched them for the next 10 minutes circling the golf course."
The eagle's offspring was also spotted -- a juvenile between one and two years old.
There is one eagle at the neighboring Houston Zoo. Liberty was shot and left for dead in Waller County. Unable to return to the wild, she's lived at the zoo ever since. But bald eagles have been seen in these parts before.
Houston Zoo curator Hannah Bailey said, "Since Houston's the Bayou City, we do have plenty of fish around for them and you do see them on occasion."
To be precise, you can best see the eagles around Hermann Park right before sunset, according to Connor and his four-year-old brother.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
local, deborah wrigley
- Two women found dead in Galveston County
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home
- Malaysia Airlines says plane missing
- What's being done to keep carnival-goers safe?
- Jimmy Kimmel ready to film show in Austin
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Teen in NW Harris Co. fight arrested after burglary
- Photos: Ladies' Night Out at RodeoHouston
- Man chasing $20 gets stuck in sewer for two days
- Mother of newborn found in dumpster charged
- Ft. Bend Co. girls softball league treasurer charged
- Last week's Houston food truck violations
- Ex-girlfriend testifies Olympican cheated on her
- Photos: Kardashians' fake home for sale