Officer uses stun gun to stop fleeing robbery suspect
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- We're learning a little bit more about that police chase SkyEye HD caught exclusively late Monday afternoon.
Many customers didn't even know there had been a bank robbery at the Woodforest Bank inside the Walmart in the 13700 block of the East Freeway.
"I didn't notice anything," one customer told us.
The robber used only a threatening note.
"The teller, in fear of her safety, gave the suspect money in envelope. The suspect then fled on foot into green minivan and fled the scene," said David DeTorres with the Houston Police Department.
Houston police tracked that minivan to Wayside near the South Loop. That's where SkyEye HD also joined in. The driver took off, drove around traffic, but hit a curb and that stopped him.
There, he looked like he was going to surrender, but then jumped out the passenger side and took off. There was a short foot chase followed by the shock from an officer's stun gun.
For shopper Deziree Mason, just being inside the store with her two-year-old when the robbery happened didn't sit well.
"We're all here with our families, just trying to get our shopping done, honest living," she said.
Officers brought both the suspect and the minivan back to the Walmart. They say there were pieces of beard, as well as a stun gun inside the vehicle. The stolen cash also was found in the car, and it was returned to the bank.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
local, jessica willey
- Man shot while mowing lawn in N. Houston
- Strong earthquake shakes central, southern Mexico 47 min ago
- Security guard fatally shot in SW Houston
- Man allegedly seen on video during burglary charged
- It's Free Stuff Friday!
- Man avoids $525 fine for soda refill
- Two people inside parked car shot, one fatally
- Twin boys fight off carjacker in San Antonio
- Woman forgives son's killer at the gallows 48 min ago
- Chipotle plans first price hike in 3 years
- Use natural dyes to decorate Easter eggs
- Prosecutors seek arrest warrant for ferry captain
- Michaels confirms breach of as many as 2.6M cards
- Kansas City highway shooting suspect in custody