Officer uses stun gun to stop fleeing robbery suspect
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- We're learning a little bit more about that police chase SkyEye HD caught exclusively late Monday afternoon.
Many customers didn't even know there had been a bank robbery at the Woodforest Bank inside the Walmart in the 13700 block of the East Freeway.
"I didn't notice anything," one customer told us.
The robber used only a threatening note.
"The teller, in fear of her safety, gave the suspect money in envelope. The suspect then fled on foot into green minivan and fled the scene," said David DeTorres with the Houston Police Department.
Houston police tracked that minivan to Wayside near the South Loop. That's where SkyEye HD also joined in. The driver took off, drove around traffic, but hit a curb and that stopped him.
There, he looked like he was going to surrender, but then jumped out the passenger side and took off. There was a short foot chase followed by the shock from an officer's stun gun.
For shopper Deziree Mason, just being inside the store with her two-year-old when the robbery happened didn't sit well.
"We're all here with our families, just trying to get our shopping done, honest living," she said.
Officers brought both the suspect and the minivan back to the Walmart. They say there were pieces of beard, as well as a stun gun inside the vehicle. The stolen cash also was found in the car, and it was returned to the bank.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
local, jessica willey
- Two dead in apparent murder-suicide in Pasadena
- Employees shot outside Galleria area restaurant
- 2 NYC buildings collapse in explosion, 2 dead
- Kids hospitalized after chemical leak at pool
- Reliant Stadium may be changing names 55 min ago
- Mateo states his case for cupcakes for dinner
- 'I'm dying' - Crocodile Hunter's final words
- Girl gets finger stuck in recalled Easy Bake Oven
- Woman takes out frustration on Pennsylvania reporter
- Wrestler hugs opponent's dad after loss
- NJ honor student who sued parents returns home 12 min ago
- Nutrition and supplement maker Herbalife facing FTC intquiry 14 min ago
- Police: Wrong family targeted in violent home invasion 14 min ago
- Malaysia not sure which way lost jet was headed