Man Tasered during arrest now facing robbery charges after police chase and crash
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A man who led police on a chase Monday afternoon and didn't stop until officers used a stun gun on him is facing robbery charges.
The pursuit happened shortly after the robbery of the Woodforest Bank inside the Walmart at 13750 East Freeway. During the robbery, the FBI says a man wearing a fake beard handed tellers a threatening note demanding money. After getting some cash, the robber exited the area in a green mini-van.
The FBI says that same minivan led officers on the pursuit, which was captured exclusively by SkyEye 13 HD. After the vehicle pursuit and crash, the suspect got out of the vehicle and ran.
Officers chased him on foot and one deployed a Taser to take the suspect down. He was arrested shortly thereafter in the vicinity of Mykawa and Dixie.
Officers say they recovered the cash stolen from the bank.
No one was physically hurt.
Eugene Smith, 55, is charged with one count of robbery by threat.
The investigation is ongoing as investigators will be looking to see if Smith may be responsible for any other bank robberies in our area or elsewhere.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Police impersonator sexually assaults woman
- Police: Woman tried to abduct boy walking to school
- HFD vehicle involved in deadly accident
- ABC13 gets exclusive tour of home after drug bust
- Neighbors forced to pull up community garden
- Officer fatally shoots burglary suspect
- Arrested partiers claim Galveston police went too far
- HPD officer involved in northeast Houston crash
- Fire engulfs northeast Houston home
- Obama imposes sanctions over Ukraine crisis
- Man to be tried as adult for deadly childhood attack
- Two arrested in deadly hit-and-run on FM 1960
- Woman asleep in Bieber's rented home arrested
- Woman's mummified body found at Detroit-area home