Man Tasered during arrest now facing robbery charges after police chase and crash
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A man who led police on a chase Monday afternoon and didn't stop until officers used a stun gun on him is facing robbery charges.
The pursuit happened shortly after the robbery of the Woodforest Bank inside the Walmart at 13750 East Freeway. During the robbery, the FBI says a man wearing a fake beard handed tellers a threatening note demanding money. After getting some cash, the robber exited the area in a green mini-van.
The FBI says that same minivan led officers on the pursuit, which was captured exclusively by SkyEye 13 HD. After the vehicle pursuit and crash, the suspect got out of the vehicle and ran.
Officers chased him on foot and one deployed a Taser to take the suspect down. He was arrested shortly thereafter in the vicinity of Mykawa and Dixie.
Officers say they recovered the cash stolen from the bank.
No one was physically hurt.
Eugene Smith, 55, is charged with one count of robbery by threat.
The investigation is ongoing as investigators will be looking to see if Smith may be responsible for any other bank robberies in our area or elsewhere.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Severe weather possible Saturday morning
- Mom devastated by tragedy pushes for change
- Three Harris County deaths related to H1N1 20 min ago
- Boy, 4, saves family from overnight fire
- Santa sparks impromptu marriage ceremony
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Phil's hiatus
- Police: Teen admits shooting out car windows 35 min ago
- Foul weather threatens to snarl US holiday travel
- Obama: '2014 can be a breakthrough year'
- Turning those holiday gift cards into cash
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?
- Video: Harris County inmates get early Christmas
- FBISD approves new GPA-exempt courses
- Man tries to grab woman jogging on trail