Two of three suspects accused in La Porte robberies nabbed
LA PORTE, TX (KTRK) -- Police have arrested two robbery suspects accused of terrorizing businesses in La Porte, but say a third one is still on the run.
Two Valeros -- one on Spencer Highway and another on Fairmont -- and a Whataburger along Highway 146 were held up during a three-day period.
Caleb Refuge, 18, and Austin Jean, 17, were arrested after a car burglary. Police also recovered a handgun and masks used in the crimes. They're looking for a third suspect, George Merritt Jr., 17.
Detectives say Refuge was the sole suspect in the robberies at the Valero on State Highway 146 at Main and Whataburger on State Highway 146. Detectives say during two burglaries, Refuge, who was masked, would approach the front counter, display a small handgun and demand cash.
In the third robbery, investigators say Merritt and Jean, along with Refuge, were responsible. In that case, an employee quickly triggered a panic mechanism which locked down the entire counter area and the suspects left empty-handed.
All three suspects now face a charge of aggravated robbery.
Anyone with information regarding Merritt's whereabouts is asked to call La Porte police at 281-471-3810.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
la porte, local
- Two women found dead in Galveston County 52 min ago
- Mother of newborn found in dumpster charged
- What's being done to keep carnival-goers safe?
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home
- Malaysia Airlines says plane missing 22 min ago
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Man chasing $20 gets stuck in sewer for two days
- Ft. Bend Co. girls softball league treasurer charged
- Last week's Houston food truck violations
- Ex-girlfriend testifies Olympican cheated on her
- Photos: Kardashians' fake home for sale
- Police impersonator sexually assaults woman
- Prankster's good deed prank leads to tears of joy
- Video: Generous students get visit from big Texan
- Which food trucks had violations?
2 min ago