Off-duty deputy fatally shoots stabbing suspect at restaurant off North Freeway
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- An off-duty deputy fatally shot a stabbing suspect at a restaurant off the North Freeway overnight.
The chain of events happened just before 12:30 this morning at the Ostioneria Michoacan restaurant off the North Freeway near Airtex. Sheriff's deputies are still on scene, waiting for the medical examiner to arrive.
According to sheriff's deputies, two men had taken their argument into the parking lot when one of the men pulled a gun and fired several shots at the other. That man responded by getting a knife from his car and stabbing the gunman several times.
"When I came over here and saw it, the guy was on the floor. I don't know what happened," said witness Nancy Alvarez.
An off-duty deputy working security next door heard those gunshots and walked outside. He drew his weapon and ordered the suspect to drop the knife, and when he didn't comply, investigators say he fired one shot, which hit the suspect and proved to be fatal.
As for the other man, he was taken to Ben Taub Hospital in critical but stable condition.
The name of the sheriff's deputy has not yet been released.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- HPD: 2 nursing home residents beaten to death 36 min ago
- Three charged over duct-taped kids at Buc-ees
- Jailer accused of sneaking smokes, snacks
- Former Houston cop facing drug charges
- Madison students on alert after reported abduction
- 5 former Buffalo Bills cheerleaders sue over pay 39 min ago
- Liberty Institute: Girl told not to read Bible in class
- Oh my! NYPD's request for cop photos goes awry
- 'Felony Lane Gang' targeting women's purses
- Big reward for sex assault suspect who missed court date
- Man found shot, tied up in SE Houston
- Man shot four times in north Harris County
- Nurse recalls trying to save teen killed in wreck
- YouTube turns 9 today!
- Travis Herzog's Wednesday weather forecast
45 min ago