Off-duty deputy fatally shoots stabbing suspect at restaurant off North Freeway
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- An off-duty deputy fatally shot a stabbing suspect at a restaurant off the North Freeway overnight.
The chain of events happened just before 12:30 this morning at the Ostioneria Michoacan restaurant off the North Freeway near Airtex. Sheriff's deputies are still on scene, waiting for the medical examiner to arrive.
According to sheriff's deputies, two men had taken their argument into the parking lot when one of the men pulled a gun and fired several shots at the other. That man responded by getting a knife from his car and stabbing the gunman several times.
"When I came over here and saw it, the guy was on the floor. I don't know what happened," said witness Nancy Alvarez.
An off-duty deputy working security next door heard those gunshots and walked outside. He drew his weapon and ordered the suspect to drop the knife, and when he didn't comply, investigators say he fired one shot, which hit the suspect and proved to be fatal.
As for the other man, he was taken to Ben Taub Hospital in critical but stable condition.
The name of the sheriff's deputy has not yet been released.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Man nabbed after video shows burglar staring at baby
- Security guard fatally shot in SW Houston 55 min ago
- It's Free Stuff Friday!
- HPD aims to keep officers safe behind wheels
- Man avoids $525 fine for soda refill 5 min ago
- Two people inside parked car shot, one fatally 8 min ago
- Twin boys foil carjacking in San Antonio 16 min ago
- Chipotle plans first price hike in 3 years
- Michaels confirms breach of as many as 2.6M cards
- Prosecutors seek arrest warrant for ferry captain 18 min ago
- Kansas City highway shooting suspect in custody
- 12 killed, 3 missing in avalanche on Everest
- Prostitution sting nets 5 arrests in NW Harris County
- Chris Brown trial could start as soon as today
- Travis Herzog's Friday weather forecast
31 min ago