Teen killed in alleged street racing crash in west Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A 17-year old was killed on the streets of west Houston overnight, and police said the teen may have been racing to his death.
It happened on Briar Forest near Eldridge Parkway.
According to police, two 17-year-olds began street racing around 10pm.
One teen was inside of a silver Mercedes-Benz and the other was driving a black Chevrolet Camaro.
During the race, the teen in the Camaro lost control and careened off the roadway. Police said he jumped the curb, split a small tree in half and then wrapped the car around a larger tree. He died on impact, officials said.
The streets were wet at the time of the crash due to a sprinkler system, according to investigators.
The driver of the Mercedes stopped after the crash. He wasn't hurt, but officials said he has been charged with second-degree felony racing.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- HPD: Homeless man shoots, kills armed burglar 40 min ago
- Couple accusing neighbor of recording their bedroom
- Bicyclist dies after Montrose-area hit-and-run
- Dr. accused of harassing husband's co-worker
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Texans vs. Jags on ABC13 Thursday night 1 min ago
- Stolen Snap-on truck found burning in NW Harris Co.
- SWAT scene underway in SW Houston 31 min ago
- 'Polar Express' blowing across US 1 min ago
- Your pocket change may be worth hundreds
- Man, woman found shot at Pearland-area home
- Police searching for armed robbery suspect
- Bledsoe leads Suns to 97-88 win over Rockets
- Dad on trial for infant's beating death
- Casey Curry's Thursday weather forecast
43 min ago