How statewide education funding cuts are affecting schools, students
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- We begin a new school week Monday. While its back to school as usual for local students, parents may not realize what their children's schools are dealing with in terms of the impact of statewide spending cuts.
A local group says schools across the state are sharing the pain in the spending cuts, but those feeling the worse impact are those that were already having serious problems.
Dr. Bob Sanborn, president and CEO of Children at Risk, says they've spent the last year studying the impact of the state budget cuts on Texas schools and students.
"What we're saying is there are a couple of things that really stand out in these cuts," Sanborn said.
Sanborn said the legislature cut $5.4 billion in public education funding during the 2010-2011 school year. Children at Risk wanted to find out where this affected students the most.
The study found pre-K programs suffered the most with a 9 percent cut -- a program they believe is most important for high-poverty kids. They also found class sizes increasing in many situations.
He believes parents need to lobby state lawmakers for change.
"The most important thing that parents understand is that they need to stand with kids in the state of Texas and to say we need to restore those smaller class sizes for our children," Sanborn said. "We need to restore pre-K programs and make sure at least that we are funding the growth in the student population in the state of Texas."
Children at Risk will release the full results of its report Monday.
Click here to learn more about the study and its findings.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
local, christine dobbyn
- Know the guy in this surveillance video?
- HISD schools may ditch Indian-themed mascots 23 min ago
- Vandals strike vehicles in Heights neighborhood
- Residents say raw sewage is seeping into homes
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Dad guilty of murder in daughter's death 44 min ago
- Toilet of the future changes how you ... sit 3 min ago
- Woman's car hits west Houston fire station
- 5 Things to Know for Today
- Texas touts law protecting Christmas in schools
- Mom charged after 4-year-old found in parking lot 38 min ago
- Miley Cyrus is MTV's artist of the year 59 min ago
- Man wakes up locked in jet at Bush IAH
- Man charged in July murder of woman dumped in ditch 27 min ago