Harris County deputies: Man held child hostage for nearly 5 hours
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A father was in jail Sunday night, accused of holding his son hostage during a five-hour SWAT standoff.
It all started around 2:30pm at an apartment complex in the 13900 block of Ella, west of the North Freeway.
The Harris County Precinct 4 Constable's Office said the suspect called his son's mother and said he was going to harm himself and their son. Deputies and SWAT officers responded, but the suspect refused to come outside, officials said.
Nearby neighbors were evacuated for their safety while the scene was active.
After a nearly five-hour standoff, deputies said the suspect was taken into custody after being shot with a Taser gun.
The child was not harmed.
According to investigators, the suspect was charged with endangering a child. His name has not been released.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Car slams into two homes in wild crash
- Seatbelt couldn't save teen's life in crash
- Man found shot to death in SE Houston home
- Cigarette blamed for Taco Bell fire in Katy
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Phil's hiatus
- Bear cubs get loose at Houston Zoo
- Residents on edge after Montgomery Co. flu deaths
- Girls' softball league evicted from their field
- Chevron puts downtown Houston building plans on hold
- East Texas company making healthcare affordable
- Video: Lovie Smith interviews with Texans
- Video: JJ Watt now a superhero
- Investigators: Driver drank cologne to hide alcohol smell
- Dozens of people injured in London theater collapse
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos