Harris County deputies: Man held child hostage for nearly 5 hours
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A father was in jail Sunday night, accused of holding his son hostage during a five-hour SWAT standoff.
It all started around 2:30pm at an apartment complex in the 13900 block of Ella, west of the North Freeway.
The Harris County Precinct 4 Constable's Office said the suspect called his son's mother and said he was going to harm himself and their son. Deputies and SWAT officers responded, but the suspect refused to come outside, officials said.
Nearby neighbors were evacuated for their safety while the scene was active.
After a nearly five-hour standoff, deputies said the suspect was taken into custody after being shot with a Taser gun.
The child was not harmed.
According to investigators, the suspect was charged with endangering a child. His name has not been released.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- One killed in house fire on Houston's south side
- Big names, fans converge on Austin for SXSW
- Would-be robbery victim kills suspect at bar
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- More than two dozen hurt in musical stage collapse
- Toronto mayor mocked for daylight savings flub
- Amazing images from midair accident in Florida 41 min ago
- Woman badly burned in Conroe apartment fire
- Ford Motor Co. leader William Clay Ford dies
- Photos: South by Southwest in Austin
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman in freak accident
- LA unanimously bans vaping in public places
- DUI suspect crashes into 'We Be Sober' drivers
- Man dancing on power pole in lifted to...