HCSO: Suspect in custody after carjacking, chase
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A man was behind bars Sunday night after allegedly carjacking a couple and then crashing the vehicle on the North Freeway after a police chase.
It all started in a Wendy's fast food restaurant parking lot in 10000 block of the North Freeway.
According to the Harris County Sheriff's Office, a 21-year-old man and his 19-year-old female passenger were sitting in the Wendy's drive-through in a Chevrolet Avalanche when the suspect approached them.
Investigators said the suspect punched the driver, forced him out of the vehicle and got into the driver's seat.
The victim tried to get back inside, but he was dragged and eventually let go, leaving his passenger in the vehicle with the suspect.
Officials said the suspect drove west on West Road toward Veterans Memorial where deputies spotted him and gave chase.
The man got onto the Beltway 8 feeder road and then reportedly hit a car on TC Jester before entering the Beltway and then getting onto Interstate 45.
The chase ended when the suspect crashed at West Road, right where the chase began.
HCSO deputies and Houston police shut down the freeway as a precaution because they weren't sure if the suspect was armed, officials said.
The woman got out of the car and left the door open. Deputies took a K-9 into the vehicle when the suspect refused to exit.
Deputies said they shot the suspect with a Taser and took him into custody.
He faces charges for felony evading arrest or detention and aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.
The woman was not harmed. The original driver of the vehicle suffered cuts and bruises, but he is expected to be OK.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Kids hospitalized after chemical leak at pool 4 min ago
- Doc reaches deal in bizarre break-in case
- Do you know this fake cop rapist?
- Community leaders plead for answers in women's deaths
- Grant to help research hurricane-protection options
- Deputies: Boy tied up, beaten for smearing poop in sink
- Protesters call for HISD to fire superintendent
- New movie centers on life of Cesar Chavez
- Conroe police investigating death of 11-month-old
- Two injured when SUV drives into barber shop
- Out-of-state visitor wins Texas-sized lottery ticket
- These neighbors are gearing up for a fight
- Missing Malaysian Airlines flight changed course
- Neighbor helps nab fence-jumping burglary suspects